SIX | My Room?

ATHENA RUSSO:

ATHENA RUSSO:

This time I didn't fall asleep.

It's been awkwardly silent in the car other than my two brothers talking to each other in a foreign language.

The car comes to a halt and I look up. We are at these gates. The driver rolls his window down and presses the code. Squinting my eyes, I try and see what's the code was but he typed in too quickly. The gates open and he drives through. I see so many other fancy cars parked.

The driver parks the car and Elijah and Lorenzo both get out and slam the door shut on me.

I sit there for a moment wondering what to do. The man in the passenger seat looks over at me and smiles, "Miss Russo, is there something holding you up?"

"Wait, I'm supposed to get out of the car too?" I ask with wide eyes.

The man chuckles and nods, "Yes."

I immediately get out of the car and see Lorenzo and Elijah waiting for me. But then my eyes shift to the enormous mansion behind them. My mouth falls open as I stare at the mansion.

My brothers turn around and walk into the mansion. I stand there frozen. What are we doing at a place like this? Wait. Don't tell me we live here. No. No no no.

"Hey don't worry come with me."

I turn around and see the man in the car. I nod and I follow him into the mansion I feel so little and out of place.

There's golden marble flooring and white walls. It looks so elegant here. There's a modern chandelier, shining a sunny light that fills the room.

Then I see four men standing at the entrance in a line. They all look awfully look a lot like Elijah and Lorenzo. Everyone is looking at me. I take a step back.

I shouldn't be here. I just want to run away into a room and stay there forever.

The man that was in the car is standing guard at the entrance. He must be some sort of bodyguard then.

"Guys this is Athena. Your little sister," Lorenzo says. Elijah walks to me and stands beside me. I feel a little bit comfortable knowing he's here but I don't fully trust him. I look away and stare at the ground.

The floor looks so pretty.

There's an awkward silence then Lorenzo's voice echoes. "Say hello." I hear mumbles of little "hellos". I decide to look at them all individually.

There's a boy who looks around my age but so much taller, he has a nice warming emotion in his eyes. I can tell he's kind.

Then there are these two boys that look identical but immediately I can tell the difference between them. One has a paler shade of blue in their eyes. That one seems confident and arrogant.

Then his twin has a darker shade of blue eyes. He wants to get out of here. I can tell by his body language. He doesn't care. He doesn't look me in the eyes like the two other ones did because they both cowered under my gaze.

Then my eyes trail to the last one who looks a couple of years older than the others. I can't read him that we'll. It's like he's emotionless. He has an empty look in his eyes as he stares at me. He's relaxed and calm like there's nothing to worry about.

I look at Elijah for help but he just shrugs.

Lorenzo sighs, "You guys are terrible at this. One of you shows Athena her room." I watch Lorenzo as he walks away leaving all of us in here.

Elijah speaks up. "Ares show to her room. Please." Then he leaves as well leaving me helpless.

The one who I can tell is nice steps forward. So he's Ares, I repeat his name a couple of times so I don't forget it.

"Come," he says.

I follow him and we walk around the mansions and go up these marble stairs and now I don't know where we are. I just see doors and hallways everywhere.

We stop outside a door that has a sign with my name engraved in gold. Is that real gold? I look around and see a bunch of names on six other doors.

"Turn around," he says as he opens the door and takes a peek inside. I quickly turn around and I hear him enter the room.

What is he doing?

I hear some shuffling and mumbling from the room but I just ignore it. Then the door opens and I turn around. He looks at me with a smile, "I'll be back. I need to add a few things."

I nod and he walks off going wherever.

I stand there and I look at the door.

Add a few things. Is the room bad? I doubt it can be bad. Not in a place like this. I open the door slowly and look inside.

Immediately I'm met with the color gray. I raise my eyebrows and continue looking. There is a gray king-sized bed, which is neatly done with so many pillows, a modern fireplace with a large pale shade of grey rug in front of it, and a coffee table. What would I use that for? Anyways there's a massive tv above the fireplace and two doors on the side of the room.

I quickly shut the door when I hear footsteps. I look around and see Ares walking toward me with a bunch of things. I quickly open the door for him and he walks in with a grin. Then he shuts the door behind him with his foot.

I wonder what he's doing.

"What are you doing?"

I jump and turn around.

It's that guy. The one that looked so emotionless. Like he's a robot. I don't answer him and my hands are shaking.

"Answer me," he demands, taking a step toward me. I take a step back, "A-Ares wants to add a few things to my room. I'm waiting."

He furrows his eyebrows and tells me to move away from the door which I do. He opens the door and speaks to Ares in a foreign language then he shuts the door.

"What language is that?"

He looks at me with a cold look that makes me shiver. "It's Italian," he answers and walks away.

I stand there watching him. "Okay, Athena come in!" Ares shouts. I open the door slowly and I can tell what he added since I looked in the room. There's a dark gray fluffy blanket on the bed, a plant on the coffee table, there's another rug beside my bed with white bunny slippers. I hold back a laugh. Are those even my size? There's also a nightstand with a lamp on it.

How did he carry all of this at once?

Ares stands in the middle of the room with his hands placed on his hips with a proud look on his face.

"Do you like it?" he asks.

Hope is scattered across his face and it warms my heart.

But do I deserve it?

I nod with a smile, "Yes. I do. But are you sure this is my room?"

"Uh yes? It's even got your name above your door," he tells me with a confused look.

"Oh yeah."

"Okay well, I'm gonna go now. I think your stuff should come soon. And we should have dinner in an hour," he says, walking towards the door and then shutting it behind him.

I stand in the middle of the room, I feel like an ant in here. What do I do now? I have an hour to spare. Should I just explore? Can I explore?

Actually, I'd rather not. This place is massive and I feel like I would get lost. I walk to my bed and sit on the edge of it. I don't want to make it messy. It feels wrong too.

So I sit there. On the edge of my bed. For an hour. Getting lost in my thoughts.