68

Zayn Malik

It took me about five minutes to sit up on the couch, and I wished Cleo had remembered to close the goddamn curtains because the bright sunlight wasn't helping my hangover.

Yeah, I knew that I should've listened to her and stopped drinking but I was just in so much pain last night that I drank the whole bottle of scotch and then I slept like a baby.

Speaking of babies, I had to call Amber before she could get too worried about me... and I was going to let her know I was coming back. I appreciated Harry's concern and he was right. I could've died and I definitely didn't want that to happen. I had a daughter and a whole life ahead of me... a life watching her grow and keeping the promise I made to myself to make sure she wouldn't be involved with any of this shit.

The break-in, the bodies in the freezer, Gemma, Liam, the FBI... I was exhausted and I only imagined how Cleo and Harry felt. It really consume us and it seemed like life would never be the same or without any preoccupations ever again.

I couldn't live like this, and this gunshot on my abdomen was a wake-up call.

Life could end in less than a second and I honestly didn't even want to think about what would've happened if I had died. Harry would blame himself forever...

His worry was clear, otherwise he wouldn't have mentioned going back to New York. But I couldn't leave him without any help, it was already unexpected that he was willing to take things easy and be careful, I never thought this would happen.

And as much as this could be dangerous, no place was safe for them. But they couldn't stay in L.A. much longer, I knew they were only waiting for me to get better now and I hoped they'd drive to New York to meet me there.

I remembered a few things of what I said last night and I knew I was right when I mentioned their last names... even though they were being whispered around, we could get some protection. Well, I was still kind of a big deal there ever since Desmond died, and now that Tais was handling the drug business we had someone else to reach out to.

I wasn't sure how we were going to do this, but I knew Cleo wanted to kill Liam herself. They had to think of something that wouldn't compromise their lives or their situation with the FBI.

That was another reason why I wanted to call Amber, I had to check if there were any updates or if they were already searching for them here in the U.S., because if that was the case then they were fucked.

I wished Cleo would just forget about Liam, but it was impossible since he wouldn't forget about her. He wanted her dead for the same reason she wanted him dead: revenge.

It was a dangerous feeling, and I couldn't judge her because I didn't know what I'd do in her place.

Cleo and Harry were probably sick and tired of this, but I was proud of them for wanting to take things easy. It increased their chances of survival and it wasn't like they had anywhere to go.

Personally, I was glad they kinda stopped with their whole list of clients to kill thing. I knew they wanted to erase every link their families had with trafficking, but it was so fucking reckless given their situation.

Well, not that what we did in L.A. wasn't reckless, but we were a bit lucky to be in the middle of a gang war. Ray was dead, Rowley was dead, and also Ash.

The cops wouldn't suspect Cleo and Harry, it seemed like an inner conflict.

Either way, staying here was a no, and I was just glad they wouldn't stay too. Maybe they could take a break from all this shit, they deserved it.