Chapter 24

"I really can't do it Eruhaben-nim..." Cale's brown eyes shake as he look at his palm. There were tears slowly forming on his eyes.

"You're the most unlucky human I've ever met, come here it's fine, it's fine, you don't need to learn it." Eruhaben hugged the sad Cale and ruffled it's fluffy red hair. It's been a month since he tried to teach the child magic. But the child strangely doesn't have even an ounce of mana. A beggar could even make a small fire if trained for two weeks by a high grade magician.

But Cale, being taught by a great dragon, can't even make a small ball of fire. Eruhaben refused to believe it at first, he thought he was just mistaken when he can not find any mana on Cale's body. It sure was a disappointment but it doesn't matter.

**

"Child, why did you ran away? Was it really because you want to get stronger?" It was a fine afternoon. It's been a year since Eruhaben took Cale to his castle. It's almost time. The ancient dragon would do anything for the child to stay with him but he also knows he couldn't stop the child from leaving, Eruhaben just cherished every moment.

They were watching the beautiful sunset scenery from one of the balcony of the castle while eating fruits. Eruhaben was peeling apples in a shape of a bunny.

Cale's red hair resembled flowing flames as it danced with the wind. The orange sunset shining on Cale's pale skin created a masterpiece. He looked like a painting made from a imagination. Eruhaben sighed.

"I don't know..." The child whispered slightly smiling. "When daddy cried on my arms I felt like I need to be strong. People around me told me so, too." Cale opened his mouth as Eruhaben feed him slices of apples. His munching filled the silence.

"And when mommy died, I couldn't feel anything. I think I was scared of the loneliness and emptiness that might consume me. I don't wanna be seen weak. I don't wanna be a burden to daddy. So I left," Eruhaben feed Cale another piece and ruffled his hair and laughed saying it's yummy. He wants the child to breathe for a moment.

Cale was too mature for his age, even a dragon who lived for almost an eternity could tell. He wanted to say something to comfort the child but he's scared he'll made the burden the child is carrying heavier.

"They're terrible adults for saying that. Are you sure you still want to go back there?" Eruhaben stared at the child with concerned eyes. 'If only I can brainwash you, you unlucky child.' He frowned at the thought and tied his hair in a ponytail.

Cale nodded as he gulped gown the apple. "I think daddy needed space too that why I left. He didn't see me for weeks after mommy died. I don't want to remind him of mommy too."

"..." There was a moment of silence. The dragon gulped.

"Will you see me again?" Eruhaben felt tears form in his eyes. It felt weird to feel such emotions for him since he doesn't remember the last time he cried. 500 years ago? 600? Or maybe he never really cried before. He can't remember. But now, he'll remember the unpleasant feeling.

"Of course I will!" Cale said looking at Eruhaben with affection. "Eruhaben-nim, say Ah!" Cale feed the dragon as it rolled his eyes. They both laughed as Cale tried to cut it himself but it looked like a rat.

"By the way Eruhaben-nim, next time, can I call you-"

A spear struck on the dragon's chest. Cale felt his heartbeat dropped as blood dripped down from the dragon's mouth. Cale tried to find his voice.

"CALE, DUCT!" Eruhaben's hand reached Cale's head as hundred of arrows with poison flew aiming at them. They both landed on the floor, Eruhaben coughed up blood and pulled the spear and it immediately was pulled back by an unknown force. "Goddamn Ancient Powers," he gritted his teeth and looked at frozen Cale on the floor.

No, no, no, no, no, not again. NOT AGAIN! PLEASE NOT HIM!

Red hot blood flowed down from the wound soaking Eruhaben's white robe. He felt his flesh tear apart as the burning sensation of the Ancient Power kicked in. He couldn't close the wound with force using his magic.

Cale's eyes were shaking in fear, he tried to speak, the sight made the dragon's heart sank but Eruhaben snapped his fingers. 'Focus on important things goddamnit.' The glass castle was immediately covered with a blinding blue giant shield and mana ands the windows were slammed close. Explosions from the outside echoed inside Cale's ears.

"They never learn, do they?" Eruhaben laughed sarcastically. How did they found this place in just a year?

"We don't have time, let's go child. I'm returning you to your family now," Eruhaben scooped up the trembling Cale on the floor. 'I don't want to go!' Cale wanted to shout but he just buried his face on the crook of the dragon's neck. He wanted to protest but his throat was just clenching itself. No words came out.

"Close your eyes." The same weird feeling on Cale's stomach made him grip tighter on Eruhaben's neck. They were surrounded with a bright light then it stopped. The dragon rubbed circles on Cale's back to ease the nauseousness.

"I can't have you being discovered by them, child." Eruhaben set Cale on the ground and he immediately felt the wet grass. His breathing was fast due to stinging pain.

Cale's eyes widen. They were back in the Forrest of Darkness. No, to be exact, the Harris Village.

"I'm sorry dear." He touched Cale's forehead with his bloodied hand

"W-what are you doing? You're coming with me right?" There was a faint light and Cale felt his head spinning. Cale finally spoke, then grabbed onto Eruhaben's robe.

"You can't leave me too!" Hot tears streamed down his face as he clench his fist. His vision was somehow dancing. The dragon's pretty face was blurry, all he can visualize was long white hair and pair of golden orbs staring at him.

"I'm not leaving you, I have things to finish. I'll come back to you tomorrow, I promise." Eruhaben kneeled and planted a kiss on Cale's forehead. 'I'm sorry.'

"Please don't go..." Cale hugged the dragon's body tightly, his heart was aching...for some reason he felt like he won't see the dragon again, and then he fell on the floor. He was fast asleep. 'Don't go, you can't leave me too. I still need you. I want to spend more time with you. I still want to call you dad.'

"I'm too harmful for you, child." Without looking back, Eruhaben swallowed Cale's memories in his hand as a tear fell from his eyes and left.

"Dad..." Cale's haft closed eyes shed a tear.