December: Maybe Baby?

Daphne POV

   "Is that everything?" my mom asks looking around the living room that effectively looks like a Santa's workshop gone wrong.

  "Almost," I hear Chris say before getting up and walking out the front door. 

   "Aunt Daphne, can I play salon with your hair?" little Sarah asks, bouncing around the room ready to put her skills to the test.

  "Sure thing, chicky." I move to sit on the floor so there's more room just as the door opens with Chris walking in, holding a wrapped box.

  "I've got one more gift," he says to the room as he hands his phone to Rene and whispers something to her. She takes it and motions for Sarah to leave me alone. 

  I'm positive confusion covers my features as I watch him walk over to me, handing me the box. "You said you didn't think I could top last year's gift. Let's see if I did." I notice a strange gleam in his eyes as I begin to pull off the wrapping paper, revealing a shirt box.

  Once I'm able to lift the lid I'm completely taken aback and bewildered. I see a pair of very small Converse sneakers, a Panther's onesie and a positive pregnancy test. My eyes meet my husbands. "What is this, Chris?"

  He moves to sit down in front of me, resting his hands on my thighs. He has the sweetest smile on his lips as he begins to speak. "Well, my love, I had an inkling that something more has been going on with you. The other night, after we got home from dinner with your mom and dad, you didn't flush the toilet, so I thought I'd use one of your tests."

  I begin to feel stunned along with still being overly confused. Chris continues, "Merry Christmas, baby...you're pregnant!"

  I look all around the room at my family's faces. Trying to figure out how in the world they thought this would be a good thing to joke about after the insanity that has been my health this year. "Why would y'all do this?" I glare at James and Ollie before going back to Chris. "This is a horrible, cruel joke!" I can't help but begin to feel my eyes well with tears.

  "Baby, this isn't a joke. I promise you," Chris tells me adamantly.

  "I don't believe you, Chris. I can't." 

  "I had a feeling you may not, so I bought you another test." He pulls something from his back pocket. "It's digital so there's no way to misinterpret it. But, baby, I'm telling you. You are pregnant." 

  My eyes glued to the test Chris is holding out to me, it takes me a few moments to realize my mom is speaking. "Go, Daph. Take the test. Y'all go to the master bath. Both of you."

  Somehow I manage to look back up to Chris, seeing the joy across his face is telling me that I should believe him, but I'm struggling. "Let's go." He pulls me to my feet, stands behind me and effectively nudges me down the hall to my parent's bathroom. 

  "It's gonna be negative, Chris. I know you said you tested but that's gotta be a false positive in that box." The truth is I so desperately want it to be positive, my Christmas wish come true. But I don't know that I can handle another negative. "I bled last month. I can't be pregnant."

  "You say you bled, but it wasn't much so it can't be considered a period. It's not uncommon to spot, I promise. Trust me, love. Take the test." He tears open the test and hands the stick to me. "Directions say to hold it mid stream for ten seconds and then there should be results in 3 minutes. But, that other test was positive within thirty seconds."

  I take a deep breath before taking the test from his outstretched hand. "I'm scared, Chris." I feel my lower lip begin to tremble. "I can't handle another negative."

  He smiles back at me. "Don't be, sweetheart."

  I blow out a breath before sitting down. I follow the directions he gave me, recovered the test and put it face down on the counter. Chris sets his watch for three minutes even though he says it may read sooner. I don't want to take any chances.

  I let him hold me, chest to chest, burying my face as I wait, my back facing the counter. "You're going to be an amazing mother, Daphne. I can't wait to see you as the baby grows. I know you're going to be even more beautiful than you are now, and I didn't think that was possible. I can't wait to fulfill your crazy cravings. To feel the sweet kicks and hear the heartbeat."

  "You have to stop talking like that." I look up at him with tear filled eyes. "It's gonna be negative, Chris, and you're saying all these wonderful things that will never be true. Please stop." 

  "I'm not going to stop. One, because you need to hear it." I feel one hand move away from my back. He let's out a small, content sigh. "And two, because you're pregnant."

  I turn my body, away from his chest now, facing his hand that holds the test. 

  My new favorite word bold across the digital screen: PREGNANT.

  "Chris," I whisper, afraid my eyes are really deceiving me. 

  "Yes, baby." I hear the smile in his voice.

  "I'm pregnant," I mutter quietly.

  "Yes, baby." I see his smile through the mirror in front of me.

  I turn back around, flinging myself into his arms. "We're pregnant." I whisper next to his ear. 

  I pull back just enough to smash my lips against Chris', his cheeks squished under my hands as I hold onto his face, covering his soft beard. "You're gonna be a dad!" I squeal noticing his own eyes filling with joyful tears. 

  Carefully he places me back on both of my feet before he gets on both of his knees in front of me. He lifts my shirt up, revealing my stomach, and my scars from the laparoscopy earlier in the year. I watch as he places both of his hands, palm down, against my stomach.  He places his lips on my belly as I run my fingers through his hair, giving our little one multiple kisses. "I love you, so much, little one," he says sweetly against my skin.  

  "I've wanted to do that for the last few days." He stands upright again pulling me to him. "You have no idea how hard it has been keeping this from you. I almost woke you up last night when I got in, but I thought it would mean more to have your family around."

  "Oh gosh! My parents!" I turn to the door, swinging it open just to find all of the adults standing there, waiting not so patiently for confirmation. 

  Chris takes my hand in his, squeezing it tightly, before giving me the go ahead nod.

  "You're getting another grandbaby!" I yell out. 

  Our own joy evident upon our family's faces as they start screaming, jumping up and down and hugging one another. 

  The first arms I feel wrap around me are my daddy's. "My baby's having a baby," he says, eyes filled with tears as he kisses my forehead before moving to hug Chris.

  "Good job on knocking up our sister," James teases while clapping Chris on the back. I continue smiling as I see the deep blush covering his face. 

  Little footsteps come bounding into the room, trying to figure out what all the commotion is about. "What's going on?" Sarah asks. "Why is everyone smiling, but crying?"

  I lower myself in order to get on her level. "Well my sweet Sarah, you're getting another cousin."

  Ellie comes over to join me.  "Baby," she says, her little hand coming to rest on mine that I unknowingly had resting on my stomach. 

  "Yes, baby girl." I ruffle her hair with my other hand.  "Aunt Daphne and Uncle Chris are having a baby."

*Not gonna lie, I cried writing this one. I'm such a sap.