𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟖 - 𝐆𝐨𝐨𝐝𝐛𝐲𝐞 𝐜𝐚𝐬𝐢𝐭𝐚

THE SOUNDS OF BANGING ON THE FRONT DOOR WOKE VALENTINA FROM HER RESTLESS SLEEP

THE SOUNDS OF BANGING ON THE FRONT DOOR WOKE VALENTINA FROM HER RESTLESS SLEEP. The girl had barely slept at all last night, she was far too worried about her mother, and as she trudged down the stairs to go open the door a sinking feeling settled in her stomach.

"Hello?" Valentina asked as she opened the door, coming face to face with her brown eyed best friend, "Oh, hey Camilo."

"Did I wake you up?" Camilo said with a small frown as he looked at Valentina's night gown, "Sorry."

"Not really. Anyways, do you need something? You're here kind of early."

"We can't find Mirabel. Julieta is worried that she ran off after last night, so we're all trying to find her." Camilo sighed.

"Well she's not here." Valentina told the boy as he walked into the Marin home.

"I wasn't looking for her here, I was just going to drag you with me to look for her." Camilo smiled.

"Of course you were." Valentina rolled her eyes, "Stay here, I need to change. And be quiet please. My mom is still asleep."

"Yes ma'am." Camilo smiled as he sat back onto one the dining room chairs.

"Abuelo?" Valentina whispered as she cracked open the door to the man's room.

"Yes, Valentina?" Andres asked as he looked up from the book in his lap.

"The Madrigals can't find Mirabel and Camilo wants me to help." Valentina told him.

"Okay, just be safe." Andres said.

"I will." Valentina smiled as she placed a kiss on her abuelo's cheek before running down stairs.

"Okay, let's go find your cousin." The girl called out as she swiped her bag off of the kitchen counter.

"You look tired." Camilo said as the two walked out of the house.

"I was too worried about my mom so I couldn't sleep." Valentina sighed as she looked down at her feet.

"Why? Has she gotten worse." Camilo frowned.

"I think so. She told me to be prepared for, y'know...." The girl trailed off with a frown.

"Hey, it's gonna be okay Val." Camilo whispered as he pulled the girl into a tight hug, "I promise."

"Thank you, Camilo." Valentina smiled as she pulled away from the hug and laced her fingers through Camilo's.

"After we're done looking maybe you can finish your painting? It's up in my room right now." Camilo suggested.

"Did you look at it?" Valentina glared.

"..No."

"Camilo, I swear to god." Valentina groaned.

  "HAVEN'T YOU ALREADY LOOKED IN THE CASITA?" VALENTINA ASKED AS HER AND CAMILO WALKED THROUGH THE ENTRY WAY.