xxiv. bonus: christmas

In the dim, somber atmosphere of the room, Cassidy materialized through the rift, a determined look on her face

In the dim, somber atmosphere of the room, Cassidy materialized through the rift, a determined look on her face. Blood trickled down her nose, a consequence of the unconventional journey. Ignoring the discomfort, she found Max on the bed, a pillow obscuring her face.

"Max?" Cassidy called out softly, her voice tinged with concern. Tears welled up in her eyes as she confronted the sight of her friend's withdrawal. The room echoed with the weight of unspoken emotions, signaling Cassidy's unwavering resolve to break through Max's isolation.

Cassidy's heart ached witnessing Max's pain. As sobs filled the room, she gently removed the pillow, meeting Max's tearful gaze. Without a word, Cassidy settled beside her, eyes reflecting the shared sorrow.

"Max," Cassidy whispered, and in that tender moment, Max reached out, embracing Cassidy tightly. The room, once filled with isolation, now held the warmth of shared vulnerability and the promise of mutual support.

"It's okay, Max," Cassidy comforted, her gentle touch soothing Max's back. As tears continued to fall, Cassidy spoke with a mix of sorrow and urgency, "What's wrong? Please tell me. You shut me out for too long."

Amidst the sobs, Max uttered a heartfelt response, "Everything." Cassidy, pulling away slightly, locked eyes with Max. Lifting her hand to Max's cheek, Cassidy traced soothing circles on her skin.

"Max, tell me what's wrong. Please. I love you," Cassidy implored, the sincerity in her words echoing the depth of her concern and care.

Cassidy listened intently as Max opened up about her struggles. "Neil... he yells at me every day. Telling me it's my fault Billy died," Max revealed, her voice heavy with the weight of guilt and pain.

Cassidy shook her head, her hand remaining gently on Max's cheek. "It's not your fault, Max," she affirmed, determined to offer solace and counteract the damaging words that had taken residence in Max's mind.

"It is," Max sobbed, weighed down by the burden of guilt. Cassidy, resolute, continued shaking her head. "It is not, Maxine! Billy sacrificed himself for us! He did this for you. Don't believe what that asshole thinks! He wasn't there," Cassidy insisted, countering the destructive narrative that Neil had planted in Max's mind.

Tears streamed down Max's face as she shared her profound grief. "I miss El, Theo, and Will too. If... If Hopper hadn't died... If none of the things that happened in the past years... Billy wouldn't have died, and the Byers, El, and Theo wouldn't have moved," she confessed, intertwining past losses and the current void in her heart.

"I miss them too, Max. But if none of that happened, El, Theo, and I would still be stuck in that lab. Mildred would actually be dead. I wouldn't have met you," Cassidy admitted, her voice filled with both sadness and gratitude. As tears continued to fall, Cassidy's touch remained gentle, rubbing comforting circles on Max's cheek.

As tears continued to flow down Max's cheeks, Cassidy tenderly wiped them away with the sleeve of the sweater Max had given her for her birthday. In that simple gesture, their shared history and connection echoed, offering a fleeting moment of comfort amidst the emotional turmoil.