8 - On The Job

"Hey, Sousa," I say, walking into the office the next morning, "have you been here all night?" I take my jacket off and place it over the back of my chair before sitting down with my feet up on the desk.

"Most cases like these are solved within the first 72 hours," he replies, handing me a set of photos, "if Stark's sailing into the sunset, maybe this is where he starts.

"That girl must have been something special." I laugh.

"What do you mean?"

"Stark hates the water, so he must have had a good reason to be on that boat. He can't even swim."

"How do you know that?"

"He tried to kiss Peggy on V-E Day, so she knocked him into the Thames."

"Yes, we had to get frogmen to fish him out." Peggy comments as she walks over.

"Morning, Carter." I nod.

"Emerson."

"Looks like something's going on." She says, looking at the conference room.

"Thompson's working on his next medal." Sousa adds.

"When isn't he." I laugh.

"Can I get you a refill?" Peggy asks, taking Sousa mug and walking off.

"Actually, I'm still... drinking that," Sousa says, "and she's gone."

"I'd let her get on with it." I chuckle, taking my feet off the desk.

"I just booked myself a 'sick day,'" Peggy says as she walks back over to Sousa and I, "sometimes being a Lady has its advantages."

"I'll see you around then." I say to her.

"See you tomorrow." She smirks and leaves the office.

"That's new." Sousa comments.

"What?" I ask.

"She never has sick days no matter what."

"Must be something important then."

"Must be."

~~~~~~

"Evening, Jarvis." I smile as he opens the door.

"Mr. Emerson," he replies, "I wasn't expecting you. Do come in."

"You've got a nice place, Mr. Jarvis."

"Thank you, my wife and I-" he gets cut off by the phone ringing, "excuse me."

"Jarvis residents," he says, answering the phone, "Miss Carter?"

"Carter?" I question.

"As a matter of fact, no. I promised my wife soufflé, and if I don't get it in the oven by- No, you're quite right. Mr. Stark left a note, um, hold the line please."

"What's going on?" I ask.

"Hold on a minute." Jarvis says, leaving the room and returning a few moments later.

"Is the nitramene glowing, by any chance?" he says, picking the phone back up, "well, that's not ideal."

"Oh for goodness sake, Jarvis, just give me the phone." I say before he passes the phone over.

"Peggy, hi, it's Laurie," I say, "the nitramene has reached peak volatility so you need to be real careful with it. If you break the shell, the implosion radius would be around 500 yards. You need a solution of sodium hydrogen carbonate and acetate in order to render it inert, and avoid touching the core of the containment ring otherwise-"