forty nine

"gryffindors out of bed, hm?" you say out loud, getting closer.

"y/n? what are you doing here?" harry asks you. you sigh inwardly, he doesn't seem to upset with you.

"i'm on my way back from a meeting with my father-" you pull at the strings on your pajamas, "what are you doing here, potter?"

"well, actually-" ron starts and hermione almost blows the rest of you away with the disappointed huff she lets out.

"honestly! are you going to tell the slytherin everything? do you want us to lose house points?" she grumbles. the way she looks at you, isn't dissimilar to the way she's looked at draco before.

to her, the pair of you are one in the same- bullies.

"she's one of them and she's definitely going to go tell snape and get us all in trouble." she places a hand on her hip, and your eyes fall down to neville who seems to have latched on to it.

"you're not here for that duel with malfoy, are you?" you ask.

ron nods.

you let out a chortle. "merlin! he's a coward. you all should have known better than to turn up to a fight with him. he's not here, harry."

harry and ron look at each other with annoyed glints in their eyes. pissed off, that they fell for his bluff.

"let's leave then!" neville whines. he and hermione take just a few steps away when you hear a quiet murmuring from the room closest to you.

"sniff around my sweet, they must be here somewhere.."

your eyes widen, fixed to the direction of filch's voice and you step closer to harry. him and mrs. norris were probably on the lookout for them, the cat had probably picked up their scents.

"i can't afford to get into trouble-" you hear hermione mumble and harry grabs your arm.

"c'mon." he says. "this way."

he leads you into the opposite doorway, away from filch and the group step down a long narrow corridor lined with suits of armour. some sort of gallery-

"here, maybe?" filch's voice echoes, getting louder.

closer.

the group begins to tread a little faster down the corridor before neville lets out a sudden squeak and begins bolting down it. he trips on his own feet, grabbing ron's waist in an attempt to steady the fall and sending them both, toppling into a display of armour.

the clattering must have been loud enough to wake up the entire castle.

the sandy haired boy and the ginger scurried up, ron shoving neville away distastefully. with a quick glance behind, hermione looks to you all with dread before harry yells "run!"

you all speed up into a sprint, and you look back at neville lagging behind the rest of you.

"c'mon neville!" you reach a hand back and grab his, clammy and swollen. the five of you make your way to the charms corridor where you skid to a halt.

"i think we've lost him." harry grumbles, his face against a cold wall as he attempts to catch his breath.

"i told you- i told you." hermione pants and and shake your head.

"we haven't lost him." you say. "we have to keep moving or that cat'll have us-"

neville is on his knees and doubled over. "thanks for grabbing me back there, y/n. i thought maybe i'd get left behind."