Chapter 16 [Temple of Grace Church]

Maleek

"Alright mom, i heard you the first two times." I run my hands through my face and try not to stress out. Mom is yelling at me through the phone, telling me how her rent is due and how she thought she was going to get evicted. These are the problems that you deal with when your an only child and want to take care of your mother.

"Maleek im sorry. i dont want to put pressure on you son but i cant stand the idea of not knowing where im going to be tomorrow." She says with her voice becoming weary.

"Mom, matthew 6:34 remember? Dont be anxious about tomorrow" I say to her while putting her on speaker and placing my phone on the table across from my bed. One of the things i was best at was reciting verses. When i first Got in my faith it was the only thing i really did to start myself off sometimes i find myself just randomly saying them.

I hear her take a deep breath out and calm herself down. The company has been doing quite well, thats undeniable but if i wanted to keep this success up i would have to keep expanding and growing my company, that costs a lot.

"Thank you son, I needed that." My mother is a woman of God. In fact one of the best women of God in my eyes, she is the prime example of how a christian woman should be in my eyes. Kind, Respectful,Loving, Modest... My mother always sets the standard or at least she use to.

She constantly helps me with my faith and since this area of New York isn't that religiously diverse you may only meet a few Christians and even at that, they arent true Christians. I always attract Lukewarm's and I'm sick of it.

"Am i going to see you today at church mom? They are having a mid week service tonight at 6:00-8:00." I say while picking up my phone and going to the bathroom , i pick up my toothbrush and squeeze some tooth paste on it and proceed to brush.

"What day is it again?" She says

"Its friday, remember i sent you that post card? They give em out every month."

Temple of Grace church opened up a few years back and me and my mother were one of the firsts in the building, At first she forced me to go with her. I couldn't have cared less at the time, i was all about my business and trying to make it as big as possible, meanwhile the main ingredient for success was right in front of me the whole time, God. The church had printed out these invites years ago and had sent them out once every month, it really got some people in their feelings but the seed needed to be planted.

I remember some people even egged the church door because we kept sending them these invites for the church, others just threw corny insults at us but it never made us stop. We never really ended up reprinting these letters because of costs and we had done so many originally, we just thought we would keep sending them out.

"Dang, i cant be there today i promised i would take ace for the day. Im so sorry Maleek can you tell the church i cant make it?" I let out a loud sigh, Mom has been slipping back a lot with her faith. She doesn't trust God as much as she once did and she is constantly stressing about her and ace, so much so that she is always with him and can barely come to church anymore.

"If you sigh like that one more time im gonna make it for a different reason you hear me boy? Whats wrong with you maleek? What the hell you want me to do?" She blurts out. I finish brushing my teeth and use the mouthwash, I spit it out and look straight to the phone.

"Why are you talking like that? The old mom would have never even thought to speak like that and you know that." I said in a annoyed voice.

"Im sorry... the old mom?"

"Yes. ever since you started taking care of Ace... You know what nevermind, this is childish, i have to Go."

"Dont you dare hang up this phone Maleek Davis."