Chapter 1

*9 years later*

The blinds were viciously pulled open by Casita, exposing me to the light. I throw my hand over my eyes, shielding me from the light as I get up from my very comfortable bed.

"There was no need to be so rude, Casita," I yell to the house, "Was there a reason for waking me up so early?"

Casita flips my calendar to the day. Oh right, it's Antonio's ceremony today.

I rush to throw on my binder, shirt, poncho and pants. Casita throws me my shoes as I open the door, sliding down the railing.

"Ah, Mirabel didn't get one," Dolores says to some kids that were asking, squeaking and pulling away.

Abuela turns away and spots me at the landing of the stairs. Her glare hardens, stalking toward me with a vase of roses, no doubtly made by Isa, in her hands.

"Now you. I don't want to see you at the ceremony or anywhere near. You shall stay in your room Maria and be nowhere in sight to ruin Antonio's ceremony," she tells me harshly, using my deadname.

I have to stop myself from going out in anger on her, "It's Mateo, Abuela, not Maria."

She rolls her eyes and walks away. Everyone is getting ready, rushing around to get everything perfect while Mirabel just stands in the middle with a weirdly large basket of things with nothing to do.

I join her with a smile. "Hey Mirabel," I greet.

"Hey Mateo," she greets back, "are you excited for Antonio to get his gift?"

"Yeah. You'll have to tell me how it goes."

"Wait you're not coming," she asks worryingly, readjusting her grip on the basket.

"Sadly. Abuela might as well have threatened to lock me in my room if I was seen there," I told her with a shrug, secretly really disappointed that I won't get to see his ceremony.

"He'll be crushed when he hears the news," she says. I nod, knowing its true. Even though the town and Abuela hate me, the rest of my family doesn't.

"Anyway, I'll see you later, I got to go drop this stuff off at the kitchen," she says.

I give her a quick side hug and let her go off. I dodge all the people, pushing some away with my gift if needed in order to get to Mirabel's room, aka the nursery.

I do a quick knocking pattern and open the door, not seeing anyone here. I smile lightly and shake my head, closing the door behind me.

"Hmm, I wonder where my little leopard could. Could he be, under his blankets?" I lightly throw his blankets to the side with one swish of my hands, playing a little game with him.

"Nope, not there, could he be, in the closet," I open the closet with another flick of the hand. I here quiet giggling coming from under the bed. Gotcha.

"Maybe he's...here," I exclaim, using my abilities to pull him from under the bed. He giggles as he lands in my arms. I tickle him as he does.

His little laughs are adorable. I let him go and he slides down in front of me, still catching his breath.

"So why are you hiding from everyone. Shouldn't you be out celebrating and jumping with joy?" I ask him, curious for the answer.

"I'm just scared I'll disappoint the family. What if I end up without a gift?" He says with worry in his cute little eyes.

"Hey, you won't disappoint them, ok. That's my job. And even if you don't get a gift, you'd just have to stay here with Mirabel. And I thought you like Mirabel," I tease him.

"I do, I do," he says immediately.

I laugh, "I know you do, I'm just teasing you."

"Will you be there with me?" He asks. I break a little because I know he was hoping I'd be there for him.

"No, I won't. Abuela won't let me. But I'll be waiting to see what your cool new room will look like," I say to try to lighten up his mood.

His eyes fill with tears. "But I need you," he pleads.

It breaks my heart to have to do this but because of my so called 'dangerous' gift, I can't be anywhere near him tonight.

"I know, I know. But don't cry. I'll still be here, waiting for you to show me how cool your room is and what special thing you can do," I say, helping him up with me.

I hug him one last time before, leaving, letting him get ready. I lean my head against the door, silently wishing him luck.

I start to head my way back to my room when Camilo and Isa catch me.

"Hey Mateo, my dude. You getting ready for Antonio's ceremony tonight?" Camilo asks, throwing an arm over my shoulder.

"Yeah, we're excited to see you there," Isa said walking beside me.

"Sorry to disappoint you guys but Abuela banned me from coming," I say, pushing Camilo's arm off me as I reach my door.

The faces show anger and sadness before I say goodbye. I go to open it but my foot hits something.

I look down to see a little green candle on a green coffee filter type flower design with the name 'Mateo' etched into it.

'Mirabel' I think, grabbing the candle and opening the door. I lay the candle down and collapse onto my bed, staring at the ceiling high above me.

I'm in for a long night.