Girl Talks

Marlene's itinerary remained the same for the most part. She spent her morning training and her evenings in her lab. Saturday nights were the days she spent with Nat. Sundays were with Steve, just as they were in the '40s. The times she spent in her lab were typically spent with Tony. Sam was another person Marlene was frequently around. 

Peter Parker continued to watch Marlene's dog while she was away on missions. Marlene had become something of a mentor and mother to him. She trained him in self-defense after discovering his busted-up lip. He had claimed he was attacked at school, but Marlene knew it was from his web-swinging activities. Activities in which Peter was convinced Marlene knew nothing about. Aside from physical training, Marlene also taught him some tricks with tech in her lab. 

Pietro and Wanda had a very similar relationship to Marlene. They spent more time training than they did in the lab, however. Pietro showed more interest in race cars and art. The twins learned a lot about their powers and how to control them with the help of Natasha and the Rogers Siblings. 

Back at Marlene's Manor, she sat in her bed, with her dog's head resting on her leg. He had a rather large head, being a pitbull and all. Stripes of black ran over the tan, making him look more like a tiger. Marlene's calloused hands gently ran across the top of Boss's head as he slowly drifted off to sleep.

Dear Marlene, 

I finally did it. I finally asked Maria to marry me. Before you tease me about her saying no, she said yes. If you ever tell anyone, I will deny it vehemently but I planned to pop the question a few different times. I suppose you can say I chickened out. 

She admitted to me that she knew I was going to do it. She claims she found the ring when I first got it. I guess I'm not as good at hiding things as I originally thought. I should most definitely leave that part up to you and Peggy. 

Within this letter, you'll find something I know you'll never use, mostly because you'll never see it. As silly as it sounds, it helps me cope. Writing these letters nearly four times a week helps me cope. They've become a diary of sorts to me, because the truth is simple. Within the few years I've known the legendary Marlene Rogers, I've learned more than I ever have. I've learned what it means to have a friend, an equal. I've learned what it's like to have people in your corner, someone who will be there for you. I think that's what made coming to terms with your death so difficult. 

I miss you, blondie. 

- Howard Stark

Marlene set the letter on her nightstand as she reached for the envelope. Inside laid a card.

A wedding invitation. 

An invitation to Howard and Maria's wedding. 

***

It was very rare Marlene missed a mission. She decided to sit one mission out, and everything goes to Hell. An attack in Lagos was being blamed on Wanda. Blaming Wanda for the attack was simply a way to get what politicians wanted, or at least that's what Marlene's theory was. In her mind, their end goal had something to do with restricting the activities of superheroes. 

Marlene had a feeling they were going to pull something like this for a while now. Superheroes were something politicians and government people couldn't control. They didn't like people and things they couldn't control. They were basically major control freaks. Not to mention everything with Sokovia . . .

With the events of Lagos, the media failed to mention how had Wanda not acted, there would have been more deaths. With the events of Lagos and Sokovia, governments and media can spin it so superheroes seem out of control and villains in disguise. 

Marlene understood that superheroes could cause more damage than not. Take Sokovia for example. Marlene blames herself for that. If she wasn't so ambitious and stubborn, Ultron wouldn't have been born. Not to mention the other mistakes she's made in her life. 

However, depending upon the laws Marlene knows they'll enforce, she and the others might be restricted in their job. These could potentially keep the Avengers from acting. 

Hense Marlene's cause for missing the last mission. She had to take her finals. 

Degrees in both Law and Political Science would come in handy. 

Marlene already knew her way around the different laws of her country. It was something she prided herself upon. Something she taught herself about before she left for London and then following that time. 

She knew that in the world she lives in, they will never accept her voice without a degree. She knew that even with a degree, they wouldn't listen. At least if she had one, she could throw it in their face. 

"Pietro!" Marlene shouted as her papers were thrown into the air in disarray. "What have I told you about rushing into my workspace?"

"Run full speed ahead!" Pietro remarked cheekily. 

Marlene rolled her eyes and gathered her papers. 

"Tony Stank has returned," Pietro stated, picking up one of Marlene's gadgets to examine it. 

Marlene smacked Pietro's hand, stopping him from reaching for another piece of tech. As they made their way up to Tony and the others, Pietro started to fidget. It was something Marlene had noticed he did when he wanted to talk about something. 

"Spit it out, Pietro," Marlene spoke, flicking through her papers. 

"I'm worried about Wanda," He said quickly. It appeared the speedster was incapable of doing anything at a moderate speed. "She's blaming herself for everything. I don't want her going down that path."

"Pietro," Marlene spoke sincerely, with a crease in her brows. "Wanda is strong and resilient. She'll get through it. And if you're so worried about her, talk to her. It's something that helps me get through anything; knowing my brother and family are by my side. Make it known to her that you'll be there for her."

Pietro was silent for several long moments as they neared where the others were. When they finally entered, Marlene was greeted by someone she greatly dreaded. 

The Secretary of State.