67. offer me that deathless death (good god, let me give you my life)

After the TVA was destroyed, Mobius watched, for the last time through the screen in the Time Theatre, Loki lie motionlessly on the ground, breathing in his last breathe with a broken neck. The Statesman burning down around him the way the TVA , too, was burning down around Mobius.

Timelines were already in chaos, another Nexus Event added to the list couldn't make much a difference. So Mobius decided to step in and interfere with Loki's fate.

///

Pairing: Loki/Mobius M. Mobius

///

Ravonna escaped. But if Mobius were to be honest with himself, he'd always known he was no match for someone as feisty as she was. He used to admire her, that was before he leaned about the secrets the Time Keepers kept, the secrets she kept. He'd always known he never stood a chance when he walked into her office, but at least Mobius got his point across. At least he helped Hunters, Minutemen and other Analysts open their eyes, take down the TVA once and for all.

It was... terrifying, in some way; what he believed was his life turned out to be a lie. Loki must've known precisely how it felt. Mobius had seen it when it happened, the look on his face when a Frost Giant grabbed him, when he touched the Casket of Ancient Winters. He just didn't think he'd ever find himself in Loki's position.

Loki...

Mobius sighed. The TemPad was in his hand, and he knew he, too, should be leaving. B-15 already did, and so did D-90 and his other colleagues, returning to the lives that were stolen, robbed away from them. The smoke only getting closer, Mobius stood still. He'd seen it a hundred times and more; the tape, playing on the screen in front of him, that would soon be engulfed by the fire.

Mobius stood still and watched Loki lie motionlessly on the ground, breathing in his last breath with a broken neck. Somehow the pain Mobius felt grew stronger than the last time he'd seen the file, maybe it had something to do with his having had his goodbye hug with his Loki, back in the Void.

(Deep down, Mobius knew, that was the last time he'd seen him. The smile Loki gave, the way he pulled Mobius in wasn't a see-you-later but a farewell, and Mobius had accepted that, even if it killed him)

He stood still and watched Loki's unseeing, bleeding eyes stare back at him through the screen. Usually, this was where Mobius turned the tape off. He always did that before 'End of File' could display across the screen, for some reason, seeing the words hurt even more than seeing Loki's body on the Statesman floor.

He was alive, Mobius knew that. Loki was alive when his brother hugged him; felt it but wasn't strong enough to respond, and that -- Thor's hug -- was the last thing he felt before he died.

"It's never getting easier, is it?"

Mobius didn't flinch when Miss Minutes appeared out of thin air, floating next to him.

"The sacred timeline is in chaos, Moby. The TVA is burning down. The smart thing to do, would be to escape and save yourself,"

"You know... I've always thought you talked too much. It feels good to be able to say it now," Mobius sighed. He didn't look at her, the creepy, glowing, floating clock. His eyes never left Loki, not for one second.

"What are you going to do now, agent?"

"I'm not an agent anymore," Mobius said. He'd always understood why Loki found her annoying, but more than that, she was never innocent, disregard how she portrayed herself with that childlike voice of hers.

"Well then, variant, what are you going to do now?"

"My job is done,"

"Your job was to betray the Time Keepers for some variant and turn on your own? That's new, agent."