Afterparty

Cleaning up went by quickly, some of people from town helped out. While everyone cleaned i decided now was a good time to sneak off and gather a couple snacks for my sleepover with Mirabel. quietly tip toeing i grabbed a basket nearby and snatched some snacks. If mama caught me she'd be upset, mostly because she says there's other people who will need them for healing, i get it but this is for healing, just not the physical kind.

"oh!" I heard a voice behind me, I quickly pushed the basket behind my back and turned to face them. "sorry! sorry i didn't mean to  intrude" they  spoke out. "hi" was all i could stutter out. It was the girl from before on the dance floor. she was even prettier looking at her face to face. "uh hi?" she responded. "oh sorry it's okay i was just grabbing some stuff! i'll be on my way" i smiled sheepishly.

I walked past her before she stopped me "hold on Isabela" i took a few steps backwards

"how do you know my name?" i asked dumbfounded. "um well there's not a lot of people who can go around making flowers bloom" she chuckled. "yes you're right" i grinned.

"anyway i just wanted to ask where your mom puts leftovers?" she shook the plate around. "oh just there is fine" i pointed at the counter. "thanks" she gave me a small smile. I had barely spoken to this girl but i found myself weirdly wanting to spend more time with her however i could. So before i walked away i decided to ask

"hey do you want to...go around town sometime and hangout?" I fiddled with the basket i held. She stood there with a look of confusion so i couldn't help but ramble on. "or not you know i just don't get out much and i don't know, i don't have any friends really in town and well if u don-" she stopped me in my tracks, cutting me off. "Yea Isabela, sounds nice" She stepped away from the counter towards me "okay cool yea i'll come look for you then?"

she nodded silently, "OH!" i spun around once again "i forgot to ask, what's your name?"

"Natalia" she replied before disappearing out the kitchen.

I basically flew to my room as fast as possible without dropping any treats. "YES!" I shouted with excitement after shutting the door. "Woah there what's got you so happy?" I froze before remembering what the treats were actually for. "Nothing mira! just couldn't wait for our fun sister bonding sleepover! that's all"

"yea i don't believe that at all" She replied, i placed the basket on the floor.  "well you should because i am, really" i laid down on the bed while Mirabel sat there "if you wanted to actually bond you'd tell me what has you so happy" She smirked.

"fine." there's nothing wrong with feeling happy about a new friend "i made a friend" her mouth formed an O "OooOo, BOYfriend?"

"No! ew" I smacked her with a pillow off the bed. "girlfriend?" She questioned. Those words made me snap my head towards her and sit up. Girlfriend? what was she thinking? Abuela certainly does not accept those things. "what?! don't say such nonsense Mira, it's not like that." i could tell this shocked her by the face she made, as if she'd done something wrong. "no sorry im sorry, you know Abuela wouldn't take that joke so lightly"

"it's fine Isa" Mirabel was now the one to lay down "so what do we do exactly at these sleepovers" She asked. "im not quite sure"

"are you okay Mirabel?" I asked her abruptly. "what?"

"are you okay? like...seriously? i know i wasn't there for you before but i want to be here for you now hermanita" She sat up, she wasn't expecting the conversation to go this way "yea Isa im fine" I thought of all those years she was shunned from the family, all those years i had stood there and made her feel worse. Nobody really helped, not even Mama who tried to help but more often pushed Mirabels feelings aside.

before i knew it i embraced her in a hug, "im sorry Mirabel, i hope you know you're just as special, you saved casita. You saved us all"

Reluctantly she returned the hug "thanks Isa, this was very sudden, but i appreciate it" I could hear her nose sniffle and i knew she was crying. That only made me hold on tighter. If i could give mirabel my gift i would, if i could take all her pain away i would, but i can't. So the next best thing is to be here for her until she realizes she is a gift.