Chapter 79: Preparation (2)

“UA Festival is right around the corner.” Aizawa trailed off and observed the students’ reactions.

“But sensei!” Kaminari called. “With the villain attack happening just two days ago, is this really a good idea…?”

“It's necessary to demonstrate UA's crisis management protocol is sound…" He trailed off with a quiet sigh. "That's the thinking, apparently."

He continued. "Compared to the past years, there will be 5 times more security this time. This is not an event we can cancel just because of a few villains, our Sports Festival is the greatest opportunity you'll get."

He gave a short silence for the student to take his words in. I saw Momo forming a worried face and Ochako's face contorted weirdly, passion burning in her eyes. 

"The Olympics, as you all know, was once the world's sports festival. But upon the emergence of quirks, it is merely a husk of its former self… But as far as Japan's concerned, the UA's sports festival has taken the place of the Olympics." 

Immediately as Aizawa finished, muttering filled the room. Momo turned to face me, whispering with a hand covering her mouth. 

"The nation's top heroes would be watching, right?"

"I guess." I nodded. "They will be there as scouts, and if we do good enough, after graduating we will receive invitations to become their sidekicks."

Momo started to say something, but Aizawa continued his words. "As you realise, if you do good and get picked by a top hero, you will receive tremendous experience and popularity. But your time is limited. Show what you're made of to the heroes, to Japan." He trailed off. "This only happens once a year, so you all got 3 chances. If you want to become a hero, this is something you can't miss! Good luck."

None of the students cheered or muttered, they only stared at each other with seriousness in their eyes.

"..." 

3 times he said, eh. I only have 1 chance. But Aizawa is right about one thing, I can't miss this event. I have a Hero in mind who I want to fight beside me against the Gods, and if I want to attract her attention, I will need to poke her out of the rabbit hole. This is the greatest chance I would get for that.

—★—

Aizawa walked out of the classroom after sparing a glance at Neji. He honestly was sceptical about that kid. He did agree that the kid didn't have any intention to injure anyone, let alone kill them. But the matter of fact was the kid jumped on the battlefield even after he told everyone to stay back.

He fought villains, almost died, before his quirk suddenly burst out anew. Nezu said it's Quirk Awakening, but the mouse stopped him from asking Neji any question about it. It was clear to Aizawa that Neji would have died if not for being super lucky. If he hadn't jumped, dozens of lives wouldn't have ended like that. Dozens of students wouldn't have been injured like that. 

It was all his fault that people actually died. 

Aizawa didn't have a good impression of death. Some people could not be redeemed, yes, but as detective Tsukauchi had revealed, the villains who died were small-time thugs. They could have been redeemed. Their lives were not supposed to end like that. 

This greatly lowered Neji's view in his mind. The only reason he didn't take things into his own hand was the truth that Neji had still saved his life. He killed people, yes, but he was still his life saviour. A large part of Aizawa refused to take the knife in his own hand and stab Neji in the back.