Thirteen

Daphne and Emmeline were at the dress makers getting fit for new dresses. Besides where her breast were, the fabric fit her loosely. The dress was a signature blue with detailing that would impress anyone.

Emme knew her sister, and her face meant that something was bothering her. Of course, she wouldn't ask in a public place or with Mama around. It needed to be a place where they could be alone.

"Ah, Lady Bridgerton." A women said from the other room.

"Lady Cowper." The girls mother acknowledged.

Lady Cowper came walking into the room where the girls were getting their dresses done to speak with their mother. "I must say, it is a good thing Daphne is so taken by the Duke." Emme looked over to see Daphne's face turn quite sour. Then Emmeline knew that was the thing bothering her.

"W-well, thank you." Their Mama sputtered.

"Cressida would never have a chance with the prince if Daphne went for him. We all know my darling might have the fortune, but it is your Daphne who has the face." Lady Cowper went on. "As for your other daughter, she will be happy with the some prince. You girls must have some other charms that seem to bring in the most desirable men." She laughed to herself, but was slightly accusative. Then walked off to her daughter to continue looking around..

On the way home, Mama had to do something in town, so it was only Emma and Daphne in the carriage. She knew that this was the perfect time because they were truly alone.

"Daphne, please tell me what happened with the Duke. Don't deny it because, sister, I saw your face." Emmeline looked at her sister with compassion.

"He and I will no longer be seeing each other." She said slowly. "It is what he wants."

"Is that what you want? Perhaps he had got the wrong idea. You both looked so smitten." Emme went on confused.

"It was fake. It was all fake. A ploy to get more suiters." She told stiffly.

"That doesn't deny what I saw. You—." Emmeline started before Mama got back in the carriage and it fell silent.

The rest of the carrige ride was quiet. Emmeline hadn't said a word, just having time to take in what she had just heard. It is said that true love prevails, but does it truly prevail when what Daphne said happened.