09.

"I don't think I like him

"I don't think I like him." I told Stefan as I settled into the front seat of his black Rover.

He chuckled, starting up the engine that purred to life. "It's just been two days. You'll get used to him soon. He isn't a bad guy."

I snorted as I strapped on my seat belt. "He's a dick and I think he hates me."

My mind drifted to last night and this morning. Maybe he just didn't like me. Maybe I wasn't his type. He seemed like one of those egoistic rich men who surrounded themselves with submissive Barbie blondes eager to lick their ass crack and worship their bodies for a stack of cash.

I didn't belong with their kind. We were an odd match. Men like him were a league apart from girls like me, and the ten-year age gap only emphasized the disparity.

Stefan maneuvered out of the driveway and into the boulevard. "Come on, Cookie, he doesn't hate you. He's like that to everyone. Give it time. I'm sure he's just having a hard time coming to terms with living with a stranger."

"And you think I'm not?" I blew out air and folded my arms over my chest. "I can't imagine how anyone tolerates him. How do you even work with him?"

It seemed impossible for anyone to work for him without losing their sanity.

Stefan shrugged. "I happen to understand him. He's chill once you get to know him."

"It's easy for you to say because you're a people person. I'm not, and one of these days I might get arrested for pushing him off the 30th floor." I huffed. "No wonder no woman wants to be with him. If I didn't need the money, I'd be out of there faster than I stepped in."

A deep chuckle eluded his throat. "Was he that awful to you?"

I considered telling him the full story of how I was choked and carried like a rag doll but I stopped myself and exhaled instead. "Talking about him is giving me a headache, let's talk about something else."

"Like your wedding this week?"

I groaned. "God no, don't remind me."

He laughed. "Bet Ax would be most elated to see you finally getting married."

"If it were real."

Stefan stopped at a red light and turned to me. "Did you plan on telling your family?"

I shook my head. "I couldn't even if I wanted to. I signed a non-disclosure contract, plus my mum would freak, and Axton would be disappointed that I turned marriage into a business deal."

"Bet. He always wanted you to have the best of everything, and that includes the best spouse."

"Ax raised me better than this. I've wronged him in so many ways already. I'm just going to keep this to myself. This way no one gets hurt in the end."

"Fair."

"I still don't know how I plan to coexist with Tristan for six months tho."

"Just give him space," he advised with a warm smile. "He loves his space."