Sign 8 I Fell in Love

Arthur dived into the water, at the same spot he had seen that corpse. Since it was daylight, he could see better yet, he couldn't find anything. He swam up and removed his diving gear, "Hmm, maybe I hallucinated last night," He walked out of the water and grabbed his phone. He sat on a rock to dry himself while scrolling the screen, and suddenly he found something, "...What the hell? Ayo Tristian!"

"Yeah?" Tristian got up from a bunch of seaweed.
"Watch this," Arthur smirked and Tristian came towards him. As he watched, his hazel eyes widened with shock, "What the hell?"

Cyril went back home and lay on his bed. He took out his phone and decided to just scroll around a bit when his eyes stopped at the trending memes, it was him!
"An international surfer who can't swim!"
Gifs of him falling flat into the water from his surfboard and pictures of him falling into water while trying to hold on to the waves, "Me when I lie in my resume and end up getting the job,"
"My three am thoughts in one picture"
"When I think I'm in anime but I'm not"
"He possesses the power to bend water,"

He threw his phone aside and jumped in front of his computer. He surfed across various websites and found that he was trending on Twitter worldwide!

"Me when I'm eating out my girl and she comes on my face"
"Me when I drink so much water I start swimming in my own piss"
"Seriously, is the Winter Cup a joke now? Who is that loser anyway?"
"Who let him in LMAO"

"Bro, I'm a beginner and I can surf better than him,"

Maybe even made a mashup of the entire thing and turned it into a comical dance.

He switched off the computer and fell back on his bed. He didn't want to think about it. If he slept it out...If only he could sleep this out. His mother knocked at his door, "Did they find Edgar?"
"No...Cyril, how were the heats today?"
"Terrible, I'm a meme now,"
"A what? What happened?"

He didn't say anything, just lay cuddled in his blanket. She looked down at him, "Your dad called. I'll tell him you did good, okay?"
He just closed his eyes and ignored her. She sighed and left. He took his phone and called Edgar because calling him would make everything better. Everything would be okay again.

The phone cut off and his door opened again.
"Mom, leave me alone,"
"Cyril...I saw the memes," It was Tristian's voice. Cyril held his blanket tightly, "Are you okay?"
"I don't care about the memes. After everything that has been happening lately, being an internet meme does not even bother me,"

"Yeah? Then why are you laying in your bed?"
"...Because I'm tired. I'm tired of waiting for someone who will probably never come back. I don't even know if he is alive or if I'm waiting for a dead person to come back," He held his tears back, "I'm so confused and I don't know what to do," He held his blankets tighter, "We made a promise..." He saw a vision of them standing on the rift, "We made a promise..." He remembers Edgar's face as that golden shower lights it up. His memory betrays him, and that's when imagination takes over because it's almost like there's water everywhere, and they are lost in it. They breathe water, not air.

And Cyril is crying. And Edgar is smiling.
"We'll find you your best thing, together,"
His voice echos through the water like a valley of lilies, and he, his physical characteristics disappear but that voice, that promise,

It still leaves a lingering pain.

"We made a promise..." Cyril looked into the dark, "and I can't let it go,"
Suddenly, he felt warm hands over his hair still peeping out of the blanket, soft, long, brunette. It was a comforting touch, "Tristian,"
"Yeah?"
"Tell me why do you surf?"

Tristian moved his hand away and pondered for a bit, "Well, I don't really know. I've been surfing since I was six. It has made me who I am to the point that it is what defines me. So, if I wouldn't surf, I wouldn't know how to exist,"

"Do you just exist because others can perceive your existence...or is your perception enough?"
"Well, I am no philosopher. But I do think that we, as humans, are so familiar with ourselves that we genuinely don't see how beautiful we really are. Too used to our looks and flaws, we don't see how people perceive or admire us. We're so busy looking at everyone else and what they're doing that we never appreciate our beauty. So, I guess, our perception of ourselves, at this point isn't enough to define our existence. But then again, the reality is subjective so-"

"If so," He got up from his blanket, "Then, what is human existence?"

"I don't think about all that,"
"Why not? Those are greater truths of life,"
"Yes, and you need more than one life to figure that out. I'd rather figure out the people I love and the things I want than take the entire human existence into my head. I'd leave that for old age when you have the time but not the energy to do, you spend that time and energy on what you can do, think. For now, we are young, and youth is short-lived, too short-lived to give a damn about human existence in relation to the greater cosmic universe."

Cyril looked down at his blanket and Tristian looked at his face, "What about you? You believe in self-perception?"
"Yes, because I'm really uncomfortable with the way I'm perceived like there's a disconnect between my actual identity and the identity that people assume I have,"
"I don't think that, I think everyone admires you and how you have been able to achieve so much in such little time. And it really amazes me how much you've changed, but in some aspects, you are still the same somehow,"

"How?" Cyril turned towards him.
"Well for instance, even now I love how I can just look at you and be all happy,"
Cyril looked into his eyes, "You're so full of life...It scares me,"

Tristian laughed, "Why?"

"Because you have something that can be taken away from you, and that...That would be tragic...Because people are cruel,"
"Don't worry, being full of life is what makes me me. People can't take me away from myself,"
"That's what makes it a tragedy..." Cyril smiled softly, "You can never see you lose yourself...Until you've lost yourself,"

"Have you?" Tristian asked as he sat beside him, on his bed.
Cyril looked at him, "Long back,"

"Tell me. What made you lose yourself?"
Cyril looked away at the window, the ocean far away dulling into a gentle orange,
Tristian got up, "It's okay if you're uncomfortable sharing it-"
"...I fell in love," Cyril held his hand, "Even when I promised myself I won't,"

-To be continued

Undercover Blue Riot