CHAPTER TEN

𝖘𝖔𝖓𝖌: Love at First Sight by The Brobecks

𝐓𝐞𝐧: 𝐍𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭 𝐎𝐮𝐭

     He couldn't stop looking at her.

     Camilo kept on sneaking glances and when their eyes meet, he's motionless in his spot. Could you blame him? The sunrays made it seem like she was incandescing— her face was bare from makeup, she looked like a fairy. She unwrapped his ruana from her body, folding it neatly for him to take. Camilo pushed the dark cloth back into her, "You can keep it." It was better than being stashed under his bed. She wore it better than him anyways, or so he believed.

     The kids started packing their toys and leaving with their parents, the sun was setting. Camilo and Y/N watched the sun disappear into the horizons, the sky shifting into dusk. "I'll walk you home." Y/N absentmindedly hummed in response, "I don't know, papa might see you." He playfully scoffed, his lips tugged upwards into a smirk, "What's so bad about that?"

     Y/N eyed him from the side, giving him a teasing smile, "He doesn't have a great impression of you." Like father, like daughter. She leaned in and spoke lightly, "All he knows about you is a silly rumor." Camilo's mouth formed into an 'o', his eyebrows shot upwards. The Madrigals are no stranger to gossip, people either love them or not. "What was it about?" Y/N shrugged, her head lolling to the side. "A conspiracy about replacing your grandmother." He shook his head in amusement— he had heard of that before from his very sister, it became an inside joke between them.

     "If it helps, I'll just walk you to your street?" He didn't feel comfortable leaving her while it's dark, what if there's a Chupacabra? He was not too keen to find out. Y/N didn't see anything wrong with his suggestion; yet she pretended to think, relishing how Camilo squirmed uneasily. "Not sure, it's not like you can protect me." She drawled. He puffed, shifting his arm into Luisa's muscular ones, "I can always use this!" He exclaimed, throwing punches in the air. She snorted, rolling her eyes, "Fine, I don't see why not."

     They walked side by side with Y/N leading the way; she would tug at his poncho whenever they were taking a turn. The moon was beginning to rise although the stars hid shyly behind misty clouds. Camilo's mind was elsewhere, he found it strange that the girl beside him felt like he had known forever yet know so little about— he knew vaguely about her family situation, he overheard it from both Mirabel and his tía whenever they get ready for their weekly visit.

     Chico's last cry bounced in his head, Camilo also heard the foreign word came out from her mouth, "Chico said something about you speaking the language of the devil... what's that about?" It was obvious that Y/N was a stranger to Colombia; unfortunately, her circumstances didn't give her much opportunity to get acquainted with it.

     "I cursed in my mother tongue." She sheepishly murmured. She has an accent when she speaks English yet she doesn't botch the pronunciation of some local words in Colombia. "It's Filipino, it has a number of Spanish loanwords."

     Camilo fastened his pace so he could get in front of Y/N, "If that's the case, what do you call..." He trailed off before pointing at her skirt, "This?" She placed a hand on her hip, patting the honey-colored garment. "Palda." Camilo gasped, emitting a youthful aura. It was honestly endearing how amazed he was at such a simple thing. "Like falda!"

     He held onto her wrist, gently tugging her along. He would point at random things that they passed by, learning which words were similar and which were different. His laugh was so carefree— everything about him is a jump to spontaneity, he made the smallest things into something worth being excited for.