20

What are you doing?" Theo asked, frowning at Thea whose eyes were glowing red as a red mist appeared and enveloped itself around Theo's throat and began choking him making him fall on his knees as he began coughing. She tilted her head to the side and watched as the mist surrounding Theo tightened themselves around his throat, choking him.

"H-how?" Clary stuttered as Thea look at her before taking off her handcuffs. She stared at Clary in her eyes, "remember. You promised."

"What are you?" Clary asked, confused making Thea sigh, "I'll explain later. Now, get out of here." And she did. Clary ran away.

Thea looked at Alaric who raised his hands in surrender before backing away, "I was just following orders. He's the Alpha. I didn't have a choice."

"Then it's time for a change." Thea muttered and was about to kill Theo when smoke filled the place making Thea lose concentration on her powers thus releasing Theo who instantly ran out. Not wanting to choke to death, Thea also ran out. She breathed out fresh air and spotted Alec, Jace and Isabelle as well as an unfamiliar man who had Clary on his back.

"Put her down!" Jace yelled as he kicked Luke in the back of his knee. Luke fell and Alec catched Clary before asking, "you okay? Where's Thea?"

"I will be. As soon as we find Simon." Clary replied, "Thea, she...stayed behind."

"I'm here." Thea walked towards them and was instantly pulled into a hug by Alec, "you're alright."

"Yeah," Thea hugged him back and Alec pressed a kiss on her head. They stayed that way until Jace cleared his throat, "sorry to interrupt but we gotta go."

"Right." Thea muttered before parting away. Alec held her hand as they went to find Simon, leaving Luke lying unconscious on the ground behind.

Izzy and Simon reunited with Thea, Alec, Jace and Clary in front of the Jade Wolf.

"Clary!" Simon exclaimed before rushing towards her and they hugged, "Simon!Oh, my God."

"Are you okay?" Simon asked worriedly to Clary who nodded, "I was so worried."

"I hate to break up this little reunion, but we got a bunch of werewolves trying to kill us so maybe we should get going—" Jace was cut off by Clary, "Wait, wait, the box. My backpack. I think I left it at the loft."

"No, we’ve got it. I didn’t screw up everything." Alec said making Thea look up at him with a frown, "what do you mean? You didn't screw up. Uf anything, it's Clary who did it by sucking out."

"See?" Isabelle raised his brows at Jace who rolled his eyes.

"Let’s get outta here, then." Simon said  as they noticed werewolves surrounding them.

"Wait, Simon!" Isabelle said, "Whatever you do, do not make any fast moves."

Simon gulped as Jace said, "this can’t be good."

"We’re surrounded." Alec said as he pulled Thea closer to him, "everyone, stay together."

"Believe me, I’m not going anywhere." Simon muttered.

Thea groaned before walking in front of them. The shadowhunters looked at her in confusion while Alec pulled her back, "what are you doing?"

"Just, trust me." Thea said before he reluctantly nodded and let go of her hand. She stepped in front of the werewolves and glared at them, "I don't want to do this right now. Back the fuck away. I won't repeat myself."

To everyone's surprise, the werewolves backed away. The shadowhunters and the mundane watched as the werewolves retreated.

"How did y—" Isabelle was cut off by a loud growl. A door opened and the biggest wolf walked out.

"Everyone, get back, that’s their alpha leader." Jace said standing protectively in front of Clary.

"Some people never learn." Thea muttered as she stared at Theo who was running towards them. Before anyone could do anything, another wolf came running and attacked the alpha. They began fighting.

"He’s challenging the alpha." Alec pointed out as Clary added, "He’s helping us!"

"Or cutting in line to kill us." Simon muttered making Thea shake her head, "not possible. That's Luke. He won't kill you, he's protecting you."

"No..." Clary shook her head as she stared at Thea, "Luke works for Valentine."

"What?" Thea furrowed her brows, "no, you've got it all wrong. Luke isn't the bad guy."

"What..." Clary breathed out, tears filling her eyes as she realized that she got it all wrong indeed.

"The Alpha's dead." Isabelle announced as Luke transformed back into his human form and all the werewolves started howling and they transformed back into humans before they knelt down.

"What's happening?"

"He killed the Alpha so he's now the new Alpha." Thea explained while Luke look at Clary, "I promised your mother that I'll always protect you." He then fell on the ground unconscious.

"Oh my god, Luke!" Clary rushed towards him, "what happened?"

Thea walked towards Luke and examined his wounds, "he needs a warlock. Take him to Magnus and take him fast."

"Hey!" Alec said to Jace, "We need to get Clary back to the Institute and stay out of Downworlder business."

"Why don’t you stay out of it?" Jace asked, "I’m gonna help Clary."

"We have to report back to our mother." Alec responded to which Jace said, "You and Isabelle can do that."

"What about you, Thea? Are you coming with me or—" Alec was cut off by Alaric who approached them, "no, we need her."

"What's that supposed to mean?" Isabelle asked, confused.

"It's fine. You guys do what you gotta do." She then looked at Alec, "I'll be at Magnus's."

Alec bit his lower lip, "fine." She could tell that he wasn't happy with her decision.

"Go." She said to Jace, Clary and Simon who nodded before leaving with Luke while Alec and Isabelle also left. She then turned to Alaric, "what the fuck was Theo planning to do?"