Part 39

Tonks and Lupin were around as much as they could, which was not much, to help Ara and Sirius. It was Lupin who informed them of Dumbledore's grand exit from Hogwarts. Ara was growing more and more silent and Sirius was back to insulting Kreacher whenever Ara could not hear.

One day, Remus was at the kitchen looking over the shopping list Kreacher prepared when he heard Harry's voice calling Sirius. He spun around to see Harry's anxious face in the fireplace. "Harry!" he said, looking thoroughly shocked. "What are you - what's happened, is everything all right?" "Yeah," said Harry. "I just wondered - I mean, I just fancied a - a chat with Sirius."

"I'll call him," said Lupin, getting to his feet, still looking perplexed, "he went upstairs to look for Kreacher, he seems to be hiding in the attic again..." And hurried out of the kitchen.

Lupin returned with Sirius at his heels moments later. "What is it?" said Sirius urgently, sweeping his long dark hair out of his eyes and dropping to the ground in front of the fire, so that he and Harry were on a level. Lupin knelt down too, looking very concerned. "Are you all right? Do you need help?" "No," said Harry, "it's nothing like that... I just wanted to talk... about my dad." They exchanged a look of great surprise, but Harry did not look awkward or embarrassed; he seemed in a hurry and soon launched his story of seeing Snape's worst memories.

When he had finished, neither Sirius nor Lupin spoke for a moment. Then Lupin said quietly, "I wouldn't like you to judge your father on what you saw there, Harry. He was only fifteen -"

"I'm fifteen!" said Harry heatedly.

"Look, Harry" said Sirius placatingly, "James and Snape hated each other from the moment they set eyes on each other, it was just one of those things, you can understand that, can't you? I think James was everything Snape wanted to be - he was popular, he was good at Quidditch - good at pretty much everything. And Snape was just this little oddball who was up to his eyes in the Dark Arts, and James - whatever else he may have appeared to you, Harry - always hated the Dark Arts." "Yeah," said Harry, "but he just attacked Snape for no good reason, just because - well, just because you said you were bored," he finished, with a slightly apologetic note in his voice.

"I'm not proud of it," said Sirius quickly. Lupin looked sideways at Sirius, then said, "Look, Harry, what you've got to understand is that your father and Sirius were the best in the school at whatever they did - everyone thought they were the height of cool - if they sometimes got a bit carried away -" "If we were sometimes arrogant little berks, you mean," said Sirius. Lupin smiled. "He kept messing up his hair," said Harry in a pained voice. Sirius and Lupin laughed. "I'd forgotten he used to do that," said Sirius affectionately. "Was he playing with the Snitch?" said Lupin eagerly. "Yeah," said Harry, watching uncomprehendingly as Sirius and Lupin beamed reminiscently. "Well... I thought he was a bit of an idiot." "Of course he was a bit of an idiot!" said Sirius bracingly, "we were all idiots! Well - not Moony so much," he said fairly, looking at Lupin. But Lupin shook his head. "Did I ever tell you to lay off Snape?" he said. "Did I ever have the guts to tell you I thought you were out of order?" "Yeah, well," said Sirius, "you made us feel ashamed of ourselves sometimes... that was something..."

"And," said Harry doggedly, determined to say everything that was on his mind now he was here, "he kept looking over at the girls by the lake, hoping they were watching him!" "Oh, well, he always made a fool of himself whenever Lily was around," said Sirius, shrugging, "he couldn't stop himself showing off whenever he got near her."

"How come she married him?" Harry asked miserably. "She hated him!" "Nah, she didn't," said Sirius. "She started going out with him in seventh year," said Lupin. "Once James had deflated his head a bit," said Sirius. "And stopped hexing people just for the fun of it," said Lupin. "Even Snape?" said Harry. "Well," said Lupin slowly, "Snape was a special case I mean, he never lost an opportunity to curse James so you couldn't really expect James to take that lying down, could you?"

"And my mum was okay with that?" "She didn't know too much about it, to tell you the truth," said Sirius. "I mean, James didn't take Snape on dates with her and jinx him in front of her, did he?" Sirius frowned at Harry, who was still looking unconvinced.

"Look," he said, "your father was the best friend I ever had and he was a good person. A lot of people are idiots at the age of fifteen. He grew out of it." "Yeah, okay," said Harry heavily. "I just never thought I'd feel sorry for Snape. I guess Ara was right..." he trailed off and both adults tensed.

"Now you mention it," said Lupin, a faint crease between his eyebrows, "how did Snape react when he found you'd seen all this?" "He told me he'd never teach me Occlumency again," said Harry indifferently, "like that's a big disappoint-" "He WHAT?" shouted Sirius, causing Harry to jump and inhale a mouthful of ashes. "Are you serious, Harry?" said Lupin quickly. "He's stopped giving you lessons?"

"Yeah," said Harry, surprised at what he considered a great over-reaction. "But it's okay, I don't care, it's a bit of a relief to tell you the -"

"I'm coming up there to have a word with Snape!" said Sirius forcefully, and he actually made to stand up, but Lupin wrenched him back down again. "If anyone's going to tell Snape it will be me!" he said firmly.

"But Harry, first of all, you're to go back to Snape and tell him that on no account is he to stop giving you lessons - when Dumbledore hears -" "I can't tell him that, he'd kill me!" said Harry, outraged. "You didn't see him when we got out of the Pensieve." "Harry there is nothing so important as you learning Occlumency!" said Lupin sternly. "Do you understand me? Nothing!" "Okay, okay," Ara said the same thought Harry, thoroughly discomposed, not to mention annoyed. "I'll... I'll try and say something to him... but it won't be-" He fell silent. He could hear distant footsteps. "Is that Kreacher coming downstairs?" "No," said Sirius, glancing behind him. "It must be somebody your end." Harrys heart skipped several beats. "I'd better go! I....er...Ara..." he said hastily and Lupin nodded as he pulled his head backwards out of the Grimmauld Place fire.

"Not the OWL memory..." they heard Ara's voice. Sirius covered his face in his palms as Remus hung his head. Ara fell into a nearby chair. "I....Sev.... Harry will never go back for those lessons. Severus does act well." She sighed. "Act?" Sirius looked up. Ara merely shrugged. The marauders looked at each other. "If only Harry listened to you.." Sirius whispered. "If only he had that mirror..." Ara mumbled and Sirius stilled.

"Dumbledore missing. Occlumency classes stopped. What happens now, Ara?" Remus asked. "I hope its not what I read." Ara's voice shook. "When does their OWLs start and on which date is their History of Magic exam?"

"Does Volde....erm... You-Know-Who attack Hogwarts?" Sirius jumped up. "No." both Remus and Ara said and Sirius looked at both of them, eyebrows raised. Remus sighed, "Just don't ask for details Padfoot. None of us know. But Ara will tell when...er...if needed. Don't.... just don't force her." Sirius looked a bit deflated. Ara came and took his hand, slowly intertwining their fingers where their rings shone brighter. "This time its not You-Know-Who we should worry about. Its the mistake Harry might make. I.... I just want you to stay out of everything until your name is cleared, alright?"

"Of course, love. I am sure Harry will control himself. Even if he looks like Prongs, he is Lily's son. He will have some common sense. I....." he pulled her into a hug, "Everything will be fine, love.."

Okay guys..... I am alive and writing again.....

So So So So much SORRY for not updating in a lifetime....

But I am back and I love you all.....

Read Vote Comment, thats just what keeps me going.....

Thanks for all those messages lovelies....

Take Care.....