8 - The Ceremony

I had changed out of my black dress and into my blue one. Mom had helped with my make-up even though I had protested I didn't want any.

I rubbed my hands together and took a shaky breath. I didn't know how this was going to go. If Madam Mara had been alive she would have done the speech and the ritual, but with her not here I didn't know who would do it.

"Ready sweetie?" asked a lady who wore a black suit and had her blond hair up in a bun. She reminded me of a spy.

"No," I told her.

She placed her hand on my shoulder and squeezed. I'm sure it was supposed to be comforting but it wasn't. It only riled up my nerves more. "You'll do great!" she said. I could only stare at her. She was so joyful. "That's your cue!" she cried and slapped me on the back.

I gave her a weak smile and walked onto the stage. You'd be surprised how big of a theatre Roseborn has when it's such a small town.

My eyes scanned the crowd. It was a full house. Everyone from the funeral was here, but somehow it seemed like there were less people. Maybe it was because they weren't cramped into a small room?

I walked over to the middle of the stage where The Mayor stood. He smiled at me, his white teeth flashing against his dark skin. He wore a royal purple suit that reflected the light from the overheads just like his bald-head.

When I was standing before him he clasped my hands and said in a low voice, "Big day kiddo."

I nodded.

He released my hands and turned to the crowd, spreading his arms out wide, like he was going to hug them all. "People of Roseborn, today we instate our new protector, Lumi Fay!"

The crowd burst into applause. My gaze jumps from person to person. Mom and Dad sit in the front row, clapping and beaming proudly up at me. Amber sits in the middle, a big smile on her face as she claps and cheers. Neo sits beside her, clapping and a smile on his face. Mia and her friends sit in a group. Some are clapping and some are whispering into each other's ears and pointing. Fox sits with his family, clapping and a big smile on his face.

"Lumi." I turn towards The Mayor and eye the items in his hand. A blood red cloth and a dagger. "Are you ready to take the oath?"

I take a deep breath. This is it. The last time I'll ever truly be free. The rest of my life will be dedicated to protecting this town, these people. I won't get a lot of time for myself, but have I ever? I've dedicated my whole life since I was ten to magic. I've already taken an oath. This one is just the real one. Am I ready?

I picture Madam Mara. She would say I am. She would be standing in the place of The Mayor with an encouraging smile and eyes filled with pride.

"I'm ready," I say.

The Mayor nods and holds the dagger and cloth out to me. I take the dagger and the black rigids of it fit like the last piece of a puzzle in my hand. The Mayor walks over to a pedestal that has been placed just back from the middle of the stage. He places the cloth down like it's a glass vase that needs to be handled with care.

I join him at the pedestal and hover my hands and the dagger over it. I'm not sure if this is right, but something, like a gut instinct tells me it is.

"Do you, Lumi Fay promise to keep the people of Roseborn safe from any harm that may befall them?" The Mayor looks me in the eyes. His brown eyes search mine for the answer.

"Yes," I whisper.

"Do you promise to do what it takes to keep everyone safe? Even if it means sacrificing your life?"