chapter 40- someone else's star

∘◦❀◦∘●∘◦❀◦∘●∘◦❀◦∘●∘◦❀◦∘●∘◦❀◦∘●∘◦❀◦∘●∘◦❀◦∘

wilbur's pov

the next morning is slow and dreadful. this was by far one of the best weekends i've had in my life, and it went by way too quickly. it sucks to see it end so soon.

as i'm hugging tommy and tubbo goodbye, i can see aubrey leaving the hotel building. i wave to both of their parents as they hop in their cars and are driven away.

i turn to aubrey and walk over to her.

"need help?" i ask, not waiting for a response as i grab her bags.

"thanks," she mutters, moving a piece of dark hair out of her face. "you know, i wish this weekend didn't have to end. i had a ton of fun."

"well, we can always re-visit this weekend in tommy's vlog. whenever he decides to upload it."

"yeah. that's a nice little keepsake."

i put the bags in the trunk of aubrey's car, then move back to where she is.

"uh..." aubrey brings up awkwardly. "do you have somewhere you need to be today?"

i check the time on my phone and shrug.

"nothing planned, at least not right now. why?"

"well, i was thinking we could get lunch? i'd rather not say goodbye to you just yet." she laughs quietly and a deep crimson spreads across my cheeks. i stick my hands in my pockets and look at my shoes.

"yeah. that sounds really nice."

aubrey giggles and nods.

"what will be nice is not having to worry about a camera being stuck in our faces, and not having to worry about tommy trying to get food for free because he's friends with georgenotfound." she pauses. "or... gogy? what does that even mean?"

i snort.

"don't ask," i respond through laughs. aubrey raises her eyebrows. "my car?"

"your car."

aubrey gets into my passenger seat and i get into the driver's seat, starting up the engine and starting to drive. i hand aubrey my phone with spotify opened. she turns to me with a raised eyebrow.

"you're riding shotgun," i explain. "you get aux privileges." aubrey chuckles. she searches up her spotify account and shuffles one of her playlists.

"you're following me on spotify now," she says as she hits the follow button.

"you better follow back," i say.

"duh." she takes out her phone and looks up my account, following me back.

couldn't beat 'em so you joined 'em

wanted freedom and got boredom

they wanted you to stay where you are

"what song is this?" i ask.

"someone else's star. by finneas," aubrey responds. "do you not like it?"

"no no, i do. was just curious..."

their game had no meaning

you found fame and it was fleeting

you became someone else's star

i sigh. that last lyric feels like something i know about all too well.

now all your memories feel more like films

you put 'em on to see which ones still kill

you wonder why the bad ones paid the bills

"you know that feeling..." aubrey starts. "when a song really resonates with you? like you feel like you really connect with it?

"i do," i reply. "that's a big part of the reason i make music." aubrey shakes her head and laughs.

"right. i forgot about that little detail about you. the fact that you make music..." she pauses, turning her head out the window. "well, i feel like this song is that song for me."

i find myself listening even more closely to the lyrics.

all the time, every night

you say another prayer there's a heaven

i say it's anywhere, you're forgiven

"can i maybe ask why?" i ask softly.

"just reminds me of myself," aubrey replies. "a little bit."

"kinda reminds me of myself, too." aubrey turns her head back around to face me.

"really?"

"yeah."

"i've always thought we were similar, honestly. i've felt that way since mcc." aubrey smiles. "i feel like you understand me. better than most people."

i grin. she has no idea.

all the time, i think it's time

took a drive with the whole family

that you've decided was so happy

but you were silent sitting in the backseat of the car

"i feel like you understand me, too, aubrey," i tell her. she exhales slowly and sits back in the seat.

"yet another thing we have in common," she says while picking at her black polished fingernails.

and time passes too slowly

then all at once, you're so much older

making wishes on someone else's star.

(A/N i do not own the song i used in this chapter, all credit goes to their rightful owners)

(anywayyyy go stream finneas he's one of my favorite artists ever and he deserves the world [as do all of you xoxo] <33 thank you very much for reading, please vote, comment, share, and add this to your reading lists! it would mean a lot to me :D i love you!!! i hope you're having a good day!!)