Hello, Neighbor

Hello, Neighbor

I couldn't sleep. The banging on the wall behind me wouldn't stop and I wanted to rip my ears off. First it was just a few bangs, then a scream, then another scream, then banging and screaming. It's been going on for three nights now. Ever since my first night here, every time I would lay down to sleep, bang, bang, bang, it's like the humping parade is in town.

The girl the first night was just a plane jane, a few moans here and there and even the occasional 'oh yes!' I thought it would stop after that, y'know that it was just a one time thing, a fling, a hit it then quit it. Turns out he does hit it then quit it, with every single girl in Manhattan. The second girl had daddy issues. I could tell by the way she kept screaming daddy over and over again at the top of her lungs every time the bed frame would hit up against the wall. The girl tonight though was different–she barked. Like seriously barked.

"You know what, that's it," I groaned after finally hearing enough. I swear I just heard her howl and that's enough to make me draw the line. Not that we weren't already way past the line already. The line was a dot at this point.

I threw my blanket off my body and marched out of my room determined to put a stop to this madness. I needed sleep. I craved sleep. and Hayden didn't get her sleep then Hayden stops doing her talking, and breathing, and well...living. The point is I need my beauty sleep. I stormed out of my apartment and down the hallway to apartment 666. of course it's the apartment to hell.

I bang my tiny fist on the door with as much force as I could. "Hello, Mr. sex addict! Yeah, some of us are actually trying to sleep here!" I yell at the door. I almost gave up and left with those final angry words, hoping they would get the point. but the door suddenly opens and my own breath gets caught in my throat once I see who's on the other side.

It was him. the stranger from three nights ago. He looks completely different from what he did that night. He looked more alive-ish. His fluffy black hair was parted and pushed back off his forehead save for a few strands that were in his face. He was shirtless still this time wearing only black sweats instead of black jeans and boots. I'm guessing he ate and took a shower since then...I hope. He was still slightly sweaty though, probably not for the same reasons as last time though...

"Hello, neighbor," he says slightly out of breath while grinning. I cross my arms and look up at him baffled. He's my neighbor? He's the sex addict that's making girls call him master right on the other side of my bedroom wall?

"Hello?" I said in response but it sounded more like a question than a greeting. He leans against the door frame and crosses his arms over his broad chest causing his arms to flex. I try not to look. Why did the dickhead neighbor have to be hot?

"Who are you again?" he says to me, brows furrowed but with still a slight smirk. I feel anger ball up in the pit of my stomach. Remember never to help save anyone's life ever again, Hayden.

"Okay, I don't have time for this. I'm tired, my neck hurts, and I've been laying on a blowout mattress for three days so could you please just...y'know...maybe choose a girl with weaker vocal chords..." He doesn't say anything for a moment. like he does. He makes everything feel so suspenseful.

"Alright," is all he says with that annoying grin. "Is there anything else you need...Hayden." His name rolls off my tongue with such ease in almost a sadistic manner that makes me still. How does he know my name? I don't ever remember telling him. Did I tell him?

"Yeah, actually, I have a question,'' I took myself by surprise by saying.

His head tilts forwards slightly, eyes pinning me to my spot. "And what's that?"

His eyes make me almost not able to say the words. But they almost seem to dare me to say it even more. My lips part slightly, preparing, but they just as quickly close and I shake my head. "Never mind."

I rush back off into my apartment and quickly shut the door before locking it. I couldn't ask him about that! And besides, I got what I wanted so everything's okay now. I strip my back from off of the door and make my way back into my room. I get back onto my blowup mattress. I really need to go furniture shopping. But on the other hand, I really don't have money to buy all this fancy expensive furniture. But maybe an actual mattress and a couch at least would be nice. I turn my lamp back off and get comfy again with my singular pillow and blanket. It wasn't too cold in the apartment so it wasn't that bad. I'll definitely invest in some more suitable and comfortable ones though. Maybe an actual comforter. My heavy eyelids close without hesitation as soon as my head hits the pillow. I was exhausted and happy to finally get some uninterrupted slee–

There was a bang on the wall.

"Fuck!"

My friend CJ was coming over to see my apartment and then to take me out to dinner as little house warming present. Even though it had nothing to do with the apartment, but still, it's food and i would never turn down free food. I would never turn down food in general. These past couple of days we both have had classes, none that didn't inter lap. But we finally managed to find free time today on a Saturday when both of us usually didn't have classes anyway. I hear a knock on the door and eagerly rush over to open it in excitement.

"Yo, yo, yo!" Cj imminently shouts as soon as he enters my apartment. We do our secret handshake that we made up in the 3rd grade that includes a couple of middle fingers and a hip bump. We were evil little children. "Nice pad, Hay," Cj compliments as he scopes out the place. "Looks like my coke dealer's place in Brooklyn."

I place my hand over my heart. "That is so sweet of you to say."

"How'd you finally get the money to move out of your mom's joint, more importantly where'd you find the balls." I laugh slightly and shake my head.

"She's not scary," I protest and he gives me the eye. "Kinda."

"Then what about the money?" He prys. "Didn't think that shitty cleaners paid that much."

I pause for a second and pick at the black polish on my nails. "It doesn't. And why are we talking about this now, let's go eat. I'm starving." I really was starving. I haven't had a proper meal in almost four days. But I also needed to get the subject away from my money problems.

"Big Larry's?" Cj questions me as he finds my black zip up hoodie on the bar and hands it to me. Big Larry's was a bar nearby that also happens to sell the best burgers. It also happens to be mine and Cj's favorite place. I immediately smile.

"Do you even have to ask?" I grab my jacket from Cj and slip it on as we both walk out the door. I turn to lock up behind me. There are two locks on this apartment door for some reason. I guess whoever lived here whenever put it in. but the locks seem old and i don't think anyone's lived in this apartment for a long time since me and whoever lived here before me. I jam the key into the top lock and twist it shut. As I do, I'm startled by a sudden door slam coming in the direction to my left. It was apartment 666. The front door was slammed open and a blondie in heels and a tight black dress stumbled out.

"Screw you, Theo!" she shouts into the apartment. "I should've stabbed you harder, you dick!" She gets shut up by a white piece of fabric being thrown against her face followed by the door slamming shut. She stands there, stunned for a moment, but quickly brushes off the embarrassment I'm sure she feels and stomps off in her stilettos.

"Asshole," she mumbled as she disappeared past us downstairs, still not even noticing our presence. I look over at my neighbors' now closed apartment door. She's the one who stabbed him? How did she even manage to do that?

"Damn," I hear Cj exclaim from behind me, causing me to break my attention away from my neighbors door and back on mine. "Talk about Drama."

I look up at Cj once I finish locking the last lock. "You have no idea."