nine

Wednesday lay on the sofa with Kate. Kate had her head on Wednesday's stomach, their hands intertwined over Kate's chest. Pizza dog was sprawled across Kate's legs, while Eleanor and Jack were sat opposite them.

"Obsessed. Completely obsessed with Clint Barton since... Well, ever since the attack," Eleanor said.

"She's awfully composed around her own idol. If I ever met Huey Lewis, I'd be a wreck," Jack said.

"Kate's always been confident, never had to worry about her on that front," Eleanor said.

"You're getting that pre-headache look, darling. Let me get you some tea. Would you like something, Kate, Wednesday?" Jack said, standing up.

"No," Kate said.

"Thanks, though," Wednesday added. Jack nodded and left the room.

"Mom, we really need to talk to you about Jack," Kate said quickly, sitting up to look at Eleanor.

"Hey, could we... Um... Could we change the subject? You need to give him a break. Come on. I... I need your help with a few decisions on the Bishop holiday party," Eleanor said.

"I don't... I don't think I'm in the mood," Kate said.

"Come on, girls. You're great at this sort of thing. The party's non-denominational, encourages company camaraderie with a festive spirit. And Monday is coming to this one. It has to be good!" Eleanor said.

"Sounds like a blast already," Kate said dryly.

"Please, Eleanor, don't go above and beyond at this party for Monday. His head is so far up his ass that he won't even see it," Wednesday muttered.

"Did someone say parties? Just make sure there's plenty of dancing," Jack grinned, dancing over to Eleanor with a cup of tea for her.

"Well, my mother doesn't dance," Kate said.

"Oh, really? I beg to differ. Darling?" Jack said, offering Eleanor his hand.

Eleanor stood up and Jack laughed, starting to dance with her to the Christmas song playing on the radio.

"Chestnuts roasting on an open fire," Eleanor sang.

"Jack Frost nippin' at your ear," Jack sang along, spinning Eleanor.

"And though it's been said many times, many ways," Eleanor sang.

"Merry Christmas to you," Jack sang, Eleanor laughing as Jack dipped her.

Wednesday looked away from the two of them, remembering a time when her father and mother would dance like that at Christmas time, with her and Monday dancing along beside them. The last time they'd danced like that was on Wednesday's fifteenth birthday, the last day of her mother's life, and August had ended up just holding April up while he rocked her from side to side slowly.

She had been so fragile that day, but the smile when she was dancing made Wednesday stop worrying about her for just five minutes. And that night, when Wednesday found her mother dead in her bed with vomit coating her pillow and face, it made it slightly easier to bare because she knew April had been happy one last time.

"Don't think I've ever seen you like that before," Kate said, eyes on Eleanor. She was now sat back down and was blushing.

"Wow! A superhero house call and a serenade, all in one day," Eleanor sighed.

"Well, you know what they say... life is short. You never know what you're gonna get," Jack said. Eleanor and Kate stared at him before they laughed loudly. Wednesday refocused on the conversation, forcing a smile. "What? What'd I say? Did I say something wrong or..." Jack trailed off unsurely.