Chapter 28

It really was a magical evening.

Maddy thought that was just a silly little thing Esther had said to encourage her children into attending. How entertaining could a last-minute ball be?

Very entertaining.

At first, it didn't seem like it would be very fun. Maddy had come down in her dress, hands tucked together tightly as she looked around nervously, trying to find a familiar face.

The townspeople were flooding in through the main entrance, all dressed as if they were attending a wedding. Outside, car engines hummed as the hired valets took them from their owners and parked them perfectly on the lawn. A live band inside was playing lively classical music to welcome the guests in from the cold. The heater was on, and bright lights had been hung everywhere, creating a golden hue that settled over everyone and made them feel like they were in a fairy tale.

Maddy wasn't sure if everyone who was invited would show up. Caroline was in mourning, and though she could use a distraction, she might elect not to attend. Tyler would follow suit. Since Bonnie and Jeremy weren't getting along, chances were that Jeremy wouldn't actually attend. He might choose to stay home with Alaric.

As for her brothers, well, Maddy had no idea.

Stefan was the first to arrive. She moved toward him, holding onto his arm as they looked around. Finn and Elijah were outside greeting the guests. Esther was somewhere upstairs. Rebekah and Kol had apparently not yet finished getting ready. Maddy had no clue what Klaus was doing.

"Tell me the truth," said Stefan. "Is Elena coming?"

"I'm not sure," said Maddy truthfully. "I think she might, but she could choose to stay home last minute. She would otherwise be walking into a lion's den."

The two glanced up as Damon walked in, arm in arm with Meredith Fell.

"So things with them are getting pretty serious, hmm?" asked Maddy as they moved closer.

"Don't tell him I told you," muttered Stefan, "but he's keeping her here in case there's another murder. It's been every day now. If someone is killed tonight, it's not her. If there aren't any deaths come morning, then he'll have to ask her directly and listen to her heartbeat."

"Basically, he's using her."

"I'm not too sure. All I know is that she's not compelled. She's with him willingly."

"Hi there," said Meredith when the two younger Salvatores walked up. "Stefan, Madeleine, how are you?"

"Good," said Stefan, looking at Damon. "After yesterday, I didn't think you'd actually come. I had my doubts."

"Proven wrong, baby bro," said Damon, nodding to his sister. "So, where's your boyfriend?"

Meredith, who was obviously not privy to the details, asked, "Ooh, boyfriend?"

Maddy cast them all a wry smile. "He's around here somewhere."

"I love your dress," commented Meredith. "Where did you buy it?"

"I didn't," replied Maddy. "Klaus got it for me. I'd have to ask him."

Damon pulled Meredith along, heading toward Carol Lockwood, who was drinking some champagne. "Hello, Carol," he said.

"Hello," said Carol, smiling as waiters came by and gave them all some champagne

"Hanging out with your new besties?" asked Damon, scanning the crowd for the Originals.

"I'm the mayor, Damon," said Carol. "When the oldest, deadliest, family of vampires moves into your town, you welcome them with a smile."

Damon hummed. "Well at least you know who you're borrowing that cup of sugar from."