66

Bondita thought she would get a head start on the chapter to be started on Monday and study for the test that didn't happen on Saturday and reproduction was taught instead. But she could do nothing. And she didn't regret it. All the weight had been lifted off her chest yesterday. She told her Pati Babu everything and he was not angry at all. Infact he removed all the negative reservations she had for herself.

She placed the new braided hair on her shoulder. Everything personal had been sorted now. She can focus on her school without any worries hanging at the back of her mind. Now she was just worried about the court petition her Pati Babu was working on. Now that she knew his real motive, she wanted him to succeed.

In school that day after the assembly prayer Bondita was called to the principal's office. There was a man sitting opposite the principal's chair.

" Good morning sir..."

" Oh... She is here. Come in Bondita." The principal called.

Bondita still was unsure of what she was doing here.

" Mr Basu here." the principal started gesturing towards the man " wanted to meet you once."

Bondita was nervous now. " Namashkar " She wished the man.

" Namashkar. " He seemed a polite man. " I have heard a lot about you, the only girl to go to school."

Bondita smiled humbly.

" I would like to take that away from you."

Her smile vanished in the instant. " What ?"

" You heard me."

" Excuse me but why do you want to do that ?" Bondita was getting into defensive mode. Talking back to teacher for correct reason, fighting classmates for her rights, she could do it. But this man, she had no idea who he was just casually sitting here talking about kicking her out of the school. More so her principal was all smiles. What was happening ?!!

" I have a pretty good reason."

" Well, only one man can pull me out of this school and that is Barrister Babu, my husband and I don't think there is an argument you can put up in front of him to make what you are saying happen."

" Oh...He will be very very happy to let that happen when I present my reasons."

" Reasons ?" Bondita was getting scared.

" Three actually." He turned around on his chair to gesture towards the far back corner of the office she had not paid attention to since she entered the room. There sat three little girls holding each other's hands, nervous and scared. Bondita couldn't think fast enough.

" If they join too, you won't be the ' only girl' to go to school now would you." He ended with a satisfied smile.

Bondita's eyes grew wide as understanding dawned on her. " You...you are admitting your daughters to a school ?!"

" They are cousins actually." He stood up. " I wanted them to get a proper education but had no idea where to start when it hit me. Why not school ? My daughter's won't be alone here since you already are here."

Bondita was getting to a point where she would just drop the calm act and exclaim.

" Miss Bondita Roy Chowdhury would you help the daughters of my family to get along with the school like you did all by yourself ? You see...you are strong enough on your own but I am scared for my little girls. Will you help them if I enroll them here ?"

Bondita had tears of amazement in her eyes she tried not to shed.

" Yes..." She replied. " I would be honoured to...to..."