Nineteen

"How does it feel to be in love?" Hyacinth asked Daphne.

"Imagine leaping off a cliff and shattering on the ground." Eloise interjected which caused Emma to roll her eyes.

Daphne continued to walk down the steps of the house unphased by her sisters chitter chatter. Her face was straight and her eyes were locked forwards.

"For your information, Eloise. It is not a feeling you would relate with pain. Then again, how possibly could you even know."

"Eloise will know what love feels like next season." Daphne said with her stone cold face.

"I will not follow in your footsteps, sister. Could there be a more dreadful fate?" Eloise stated, which felt very rude, even for her.

"You do know I am setting the standard for your future matches, yes? You should be greatful." Daphne scolded.

"The only thing I'm grateful for is that I'm not you." Eloise said before walking off.

A man came in and said that Prince Frederick was there waiting for her. Daphne and him went in to a room so they could speak in private. Of course, Hyacinth had to secretly stand outside the door to listen to what they were saying.

After the exchange with Prince Frederick, Daphne and the girls Mama's left to meet the Duke. Hyacinth kept following around Emme with questions, though she eventually had a quiet place to write.

Words cannot describe my ample feelings of  worry for my sister. I know of the kiss, and I assume that someone else knows. If it wasn't for someone else knowing, they would not be in this predicament. Someone would be dead. What of the Duke? I wonder how he feels. For a man to finally experience the pain of being forced into a marrige is somewhat pleasurable, however, I do not wish him to be resentful to my dear Daphne. I thought them a perfect match, even if it was a ruse. They cared for each other. True and real feelings are rare in such a world as ours, that is why Daphne is such a lucky woman. Although, I do wonder what will become of me, what suiters will propose and will be right for me. The worst part is I would happily marry William. If only he was that kind of guy, but for now I will continue to jest with him about the things I pretend dislike in him. If I don't marry by the end of the season, I become a toy no one wanted on the market forced to wait there until someone does. That someone may not be this season. To me, I know I feel something towards him, I just wish that William would finally act upon it. My heart speaks to me truly and says that he is the one I desire, if I cannot have him, it would be a horrific disappointment. However, I am merely a girl in a mens world so what happens to me is in the control of mens hands.