49. Lost time

"I didn't know we're going to have a guest today," Francesco said the moment when he appeared.

"It was a spontaneous invitation, wasn't it?" Valentino asked, probably thinking it's funny to see two paralyzed in fear teenagers.

Sofia nodded in response.

"Well, aren't you going to introduce yourself?" Francesco's attention shifted to Bruno, his voice from irritated shifted to cold and formal.

"B-Bruno Neri, sir"

They shook each other hands, Bruno clearly has been intimidated.

"My sister said you helped her to find us. Our family owes you a favour" Francesco said in a formal voice that Sofia didn't recognize. She realized that he never spoke to her that way. It was cold and unpleasant and she wanted to run when she heard it. Suddenly she understood that fear of Bruno was not exaggerated or unfounded. Her brothers were really scary.

A favour. In a casual person's voice that would be something innocent, just a polite way of exchanging another person's kindness. But here in this family, it meant something different and Sofia understood it by now. Not fully, but to some extent.

"Can we talk for a bit in my room?" Sofia asked trying to quickly evacuate Bruno from Francesco's freezing gaze.

Francesco gave her a long warning look but finally said "Leave the door open"

Sofia nodded and then said"Okay," she said quickly and grabbed Bruno's hand to pull him towards the stairs. It didn't escape anyone's attention.

Sofia lead Bruno to her room but she saw Valentino following her so she decided to act. She knew it's a bad sign and that he probably decided to be really annoying about the whole situation.

She addressed Bruno first "Get in here and wait," Sofia said strictly pointing to her room as the place for Bruno. He gave her a questioning look but nodded and went inside. In the meantime, Valentino said "The door was supposed to be left open"

"Yeah, when I am inside, right? I'm not. It's only Bruno there so they can be closed" Sofia pointed out.

Valentino rolled his eyes. "What do you want?" he asked reluctantly.

"Please don't bother us. Please?" She pleaded.

"Oh so you want to ruin my fun?" He asked with his arms crossed over his chest as if she had to repay him for taking away his afternoon entertainment.

Sofia blinked twice at his shameless admittance.

"How about... what if..." okay. She had no idea what he might want.

"Can I owe you another favour then? In exchange, you leave us alone today"

"A big one" he warned.

"Yes, okay" she agreed quickly. "Now go away"

"Fine, fine I am going," Valentino said with his hand raised up in a sign of defeat.

⚜️⚜️⚜️

When Sofia entered the room Bruno was checking out her bookshelf with curiosity. The moment she entered the room his attention shifted to her.

"I'm sorry for bringing you here Bruno. I really wanted to help" Sofia said in an apologetic voice.

"It's okay," he said warmly. "Thank you for trying to save me"

"It's because of me you're in this situation in the first place," Sofia said bitterly. She didn't deserve his kindness. 

"That's not true. If I hadn't decided to go against your wishes I wouldn't be here. Now from the perspective, I realize I was wrong, I owe you my apologies" he said in a gentle voice sitting next to her on her bed.