Chapter 9

The next moments are a frenzy of forcing cold wet skin into abrasive winter clothes—your legs still like jelly from the orgasm Loki had pulled out of you.

Shaking your head to clear your thoughts, you keep one eye on the rolling clouds and the other on the next thing you have to do—readying the dogs. They're as wired as you, sensing the incoming danger and beginning to bark and pull.

"Y/N!" Loki shouts, yanking on his jacket. "What's the plan?"

"We get back to the camp—fast."

You can't even look at him, unable to believe what just happened. It feels like a dream, the memory of his curled fingers deep inside you disappearing like vapour as you free the dogs from their tie post. Whatever it was, it was a mistake. Getting involved with one of the guests? I've really reached a new low. I shouldn't have brought him up here...and now we could get killed!

"Come on," you snap at him before hopping up onto the sleigh.

Loki zips the jacket and jumps up beside you, wishing with every fibre of his being that he could just use magic to dry himself. It's definitely colder than he expected it to be—the temperature dropping with every passing minute as the storm descends.

"It's coming in fast," he says, staring at it over his shoulder as the sleigh jolts forwards, the dogs leaping into a sprint.

You say nothing, not even bothering to look anymore. You're aware of how fast these storms come in. You know the numbers of people who succumb to them every year—if they're stupid enough to be caught out in the open. I refuse to be another statistic...we need to get back! We will get back!

It's seconds before the snow starts to fall, gentle at first, tumbling like soft balls of cotton onto your shoulders. And you notice Loki tip his head back and close his eyes, enjoying the peaceful sensation—the beauty of the flowing streams of white. You, instead, shove it out of your face, pulling your goggles down over eyes, as you know better—it's not going to be peaceful for long.

The dogs bark their agreement, the sleigh pulling this way and that as you navigate quickly around bends and through trees. This area isn't as well-trodden as the tracks around the camp. It takes the dogs almost double the effort to get through the softer snow. And the further you go, the larger the knot grows inside your stomach. How could I have been so stupid? I knew the storm was coming! I didn't want him to come along but he forced me!

You glance at Loki, anger filling your heart as the soft snowflakes fall faster, losing their shape and casting the air around you a dull shade of grey. He has no idea of the danger we're in...

"Mushmushmush!" you shout through the coiling wind, and the sleigh tugs harder under your feet as the dogs try to pick up the pace. They need little encouragement—their eyes focused on the path ahead, aware of what lies behind them.

"Fuck," you say out loud as a sharp bend comes into view. Usually, you would have noticed it, but with the snow and ice now branding the horizon, every shadow is filled, the lights of the sleigh practically useless.

The dogs bend with it and the sleigh tilts. Grabbing the reins tighter, you hoist yourself up onto the side to try to counteract the weight. "Loki!" you shout, and thankfully he gets it immediately, jumping to the side and throwing an arm around your waist.

With one runner completely off the floor, you hold your breath...waiting for the sleigh to topple regardless. But it doesn't. You fly around the bend, Loki's arm still around you as the runner hits the ground again with a thump.

"Fuck," you gasp again, your heart hammering up inside your throat. "That was close!"

The igloos aren't far now, but you still need to drop Loki off and get the dogs back home which is another 15 minutes ride. You cast a glance behind you, the sky now full and pelting snow across the landscape with wild abandon. You won't have time to get home before the storm cuts you off. Fuck, if we even make it back to the igloos...