Chapter 14

The footage on-screen was just as Penelope remembered it, just from a different angle

The footage on-screen was just as Penelope remembered it, just from a different angle. She watched herself standing at the edge of the forest, lingering for a moment before she turned back to look into the camera. She gave a quick smile before delving between the trees and walking deeper into the woods. The camera—and Liam—followed after.

For a while, the footage was just her stumbling through the undergrowth. The camera shook as Liam did the same, his heavy breathing the only soundtrack as he trailed after her. Then, finally, he found some even ground where the underbrush wasn't so thick and stopped for a minute.

But Penelope kept going. She stepped over a log and around a tree...

And then she was gone.

On-screen, Liam realized it instantly. "Penelope?" he called out. He leaned the camera this way and that, looking through the thick green of the forest. He ventured forward and peered around the edge of the tree, even though it was too thin for her—or anyone—to hide behind.

But there was no sign of her.

She was just... gone.

"Penelope, what the hell?" he snapped, rushing forward. "Where are you?"

But she didn't answer. She was nowhere to be seen.

"Penelope! PENELOPE!" Liam began calling. Here was when you could hear the panic begin to creep into his voice. "PENELOPE, WHERE ARE YOU?"

The angle shifted then, the camera aiming at the ground.

"I-I'm sorry, I've got... I've got to find her. I'm sorry," Liam sputtered, before the footage before cut out as he ended the livestream.

"And that's when I tried to calling you on my phone," Liam explained, from his spot beside her on the couch. "I called and called, but it just went through to my voicemail."

Penelope didn't respond. She wasn't sure what to say. She just felt very cold.

This had been what she'd been waiting for, all this time, though it hadn't exactly happened the way she expected. She had always hoped to find something like—proof, real proof—but she had always thought it would be something she'd witness, capture, document.