Prologue

Scourge's mind flashed back through his entire life.

Being the smallest kit, Tiny. Being taunted by his siblings. Going out into the forest to prove his worth. The dark gray tabby with white patches. The blue-gray she-cat. The tortoiseshell she-cat. The dark tabby tom, much larger than himself. And the dark gray one, as he made the dark tabby attack him. He swore he'd get vengeance on these cats, these Clan cats. Ruthless and wild, but he was stronger. And recognizing the same dark tabby, later on, trying to get him, Scourge, to fight battles for the dark tabby. He'd struck "Tigerstar" down, but was killed by another leader, the brave, strong, courageous Firestar. These cats' belief in StarClan had saved them. His ice-blue eyes had grown cold.

"Scourge..." a cat whispered. Scourge started. "This is StarClan. We want to offer you a second chance."

He saw a vision. A small black tom, white paws, and his same piercing ice blue eyes. But they weren't filled with hate, violence, and coldness. This tom's were filled with laughter, joy, and happiness. The black tom sat, tail intertwined with another orange tabby cat's tail. The tabby had startling green eyes. Firestar.

"What is this?" he hissed.

"Your second chance," the ghostly cat whispered. She was the same blue-gray from those same moons before. "I am Bluestar."

"You let him hurt me," Scourge growled.

"I am sorry," Bluestar mewed sadly. "When I met Firestar in the forest, I realized that if you had been moons younger, you may have had the courage and potential to be in his place. You were half brothers, you shared a father. Perhaps, for a turn of fate, you might have been siblings. Siblings of Fire and Ice. Maybe there was a second prophecy. One Spottedleaf missed. I am offering you a second chance."

"I... I accept."