PART TWO: CHAPTER TWO

My eyes fluttered with shock. Niyi was playing my favourite melody on the saxophone, Sweet Love by Anita Baker. He stood in the centre of the stage looking gorgeous as usual in a crisp, black suit and gold bow tie. I was mesmerized by the sound, unable to take a single step. He played with such passion, closing his eyes as he swayed and tapped his feet.

The stage and the hall were decorated with gold and purple floor to ceiling silk. Even the pillars were wrapped with sparkling material. The overhead light glowed and reflected stars over the venue. My eyes took it all in with appreciation, but my heart and mind were on Niyi.  People often shared stories about crying tears of joy. I am a living testimony that it is real.

When did you learn how to play the sax? I mouthed.

Without missing a note, he winked at me and I giggled like a school girl. Any other man would not have been able to make out what I was saying from that distance. Niyi was one of a kind. When he finished, I ran towards him. The end of the tune freed me from the magic spell of love that kept me fixed to the spot.

Niyi put the saxophone in a case, and met me halfway with open arms. With tears in my eyes and heart full of adoration, I leapt into his strong arms. He raised me up and spun me around before looking into my eyes and lowering me to my feet. My body brushing against his still gave me feverish chills.

"Teniola, mi owon. My precious, Teniola." He tilted his head down to meet my gaze, because I was a little shorter than him.

I laid an affectionate hand on his cheek and smiled. "Emi ni tire, titi lailai. I am yours forever."

Just as I was admiring the radiance of his beautiful dark brown skin and his honey brown eyes, he chuckled, and so did I.

"Nibo ni mo ti fe bere? Where do I want to start?" he asked.

In a cheeky move, I shrugged and drew my hands down from his shoulders and bit my lip. Niyi caught my hands before they could stray too far. He pecked both hands and returned them to his shoulders. The look in his eyes told me we would settle that matter later.

"TenTen, from the first day I met you, and we clashed over an administrative issue at work..."

I smirked at the memory. I thought he was a handsome, but an arrogant guy. It was mandatory for me to call him to order.

"You were kind and respectful. Polite but firm and held your head high and stood up for what you believed in. I was hooked before I knew it—to the intelligent and statuesque Americana with fiery deep brown eyes, a charming smile and exceptional beauty.

I rolled my eyes playfully. "Why did you keep arguing with me?"

"We both have strong personalities," he retorted. "And I couldn't fight the urge to dominate you," he whispered.

My body tingled at the sound of his confession, and my lips parted but I remained silent. No one had the same effect on me as him.

"With time, we overcame our differences and discovered that we have more in common than we realized. Words can't express how much I cherish every moment with you, Teniola. You're not just the only woman I want, you're the only woman I will ever need. I love you—"

I squealed with excitement and fanned my face. "I love you, Niyi."

He withdrew a box from his pocket and went down on one knee. "I want you to be my friend—"

"Yes!"

"My sister—"

"Yes!"

"My lover—"