chapter twenty-five

TW: gore, mention of post-mortem mutilation, mention of guns, mentions of mugging, mentions of PTSD and other mental illnesses, psychotic breaks from reality, police presence

true night, part one of one.

"we've all got light and darkness inside us. what matters is what we choose to act on. that's who we really are " - jk rowling

-

Genevieve and Derek had been dating in secret for just under a month, and so far, they'd managed to not raise the team's suspicions. Which was no easy feat, given how much time they all spent together. It had been especially difficult now that Garcia and Genevieve were living together - she'd had to dodge many a question from the blonde after coming home from Derek's place late at night.

They wanted to keep it the relationship a secret while it was in its newer stages - the two agreed that they wanted to get to know their new dynamics better before they had the whole team psychoanalysing them.

The team had been called in on a case of violent murders of gang-bangers in California. There had been seven victims in two weeks, and the police had drummed up no leads.

On the plane, they'd profiled that they're looking for one Unsub suffering from a psychotic break. Once they had landed, the team split up between the two SUVs and fought their way through the heavy traffic to the latest crime scene.

"You should have listened to me," Spencer said, as he, Genevieve, and Derek all closed the SUV doors.

"It wouldn't have saved that much time, Reid. Let it go," Derek said, a hint of impatience in his voice. Genevieve rolled her eyes as she walked ahead of the bickering pair.

"The interchange between the 405 and the 101 freeways is consistently rated the worst interchange in the entire world," Spencer said snappily, causing Derek to look at him with a look of disbelief.

"Why do you know that?" He asked irately.

"It's a government report," Spencer replied innocently.

"So what?"

"You work for the government. You don't read their reports?"

Genevieve fought back a laugh as a uniformed officer lifted the crime scene tape for the three agents to duck under.

"On traffic patterns in a city twenty-five-hundred miles from where I live?" Derek asked skeptically.

"Twenty-two-hundred and ninety-five miles," Spencer corrected him smugly.

"Don't make me smack you in front of all these people," Derek said through gritted teeth, gesturing to the crowd of onlookers that surrounded the police tape.

"If you don't shut up, I'm going to lock you both in the SUV and look at this crime scene myself," Genevieve whirled around on her heel to send them both a sharp glare.

"Sorry," They both mumbled, causing her to roll her eyes again.

"I'm Detective Brady, LAPD," A short middle-aged man ambled up to the three agents, his hand extended in greeting.

"Agent Taylor, this is Agent Morgan, and Doctor Reid," Genevieve pointed to each person in turn.

"The rest of our team's in an SUV behind us," Derek told him, seeing his surprised look at there only being three of them.

"Yeah, stuck in traffic," Spencer said, a small smirk playing on his lips. Genevieve pinched the bridge of her nose, while Derek clenched his jaw, biting his tongue to prevent himself from retorting.