Chapter Five

Lucy sat in the chair at the sheriff's office with her arms crossed over her chest and her head leaned against the wall behind her. Her eyes took in the other people that were waiting, most of them refusing to meet her gaze. Vicki's brother being the exception. His brow was furrowed as he looked her over. He was probably trying to figure out what she was doing there. Frankly, so was Lucy but when you received a call asking you to come in for questioning in a disappearance, you came in. If you wanted everyone to think you had something to do with it, you brought an attorney with you.

Damon was waiting outside in the car, claiming to be allergic to police stations. Besides, Lucy was an adult. She didn't need a keeper. As Stefan came out, they called her in. Her friend frowned as he passed and she gave a little shrug.

A blonde woman greeted her as she stepped into the office. "Hello, I'm Sheriff Forbes. Thanks for coming in." She gestured to one of the chairs across from her and Lucy sat.

"I don't mind being here, Sheriff, but I have to admit I'm at a bit of a loss. It's not like I knew the Donovan girl. I mean, I met her of course but I didn't spend any time with her."

She nodded then tilted her head as she narrowed her gaze. "Elena Gilbert suggested you might know more about where Vicki Donovan disappeared to."

"Did she now?" Lucy said after a small pause. One side of her lips curled up. "Let me tell you what I know. I know that Vicki has a drug problem. I know that Stefan tried to help her clean up because everyone else in her life gives in when she pouts and whines. I know when he refused to feed her habit, she went home and acted like Stefan was harassing her. That's what I know about Vicki Donovan."

Lucy's smile fell. "As for what I know about Elena Gilbert, she's jealous and petty. She's also a child that apparently thinks nothing about involving the police in her personal issues. I live with the Salvatores. She's jealous of my relationship with both of them, particularly Stefan. She doesn't like being told no."

The sheriff laced her fingers together on the desk and gave her a grim look. "With all due respect, Ms. Williams, Elena Gilbert has been through more than anyone should at her age. She's more mature and responsible than you're giving her credit for."

"Elena hardly holds a monopoly on suffering. It seems odd to me that everyone in this town, herself included, act like she does." Lucy stood. "I'll show myself out."

"I have more questions," the sheriff protested as she mirrored Lucy's position.

"No, you don't." She turned her back and walked out of the office, leaving the door open as she went.

As she left the station, her eyes fell on Elena talking with Stefan. She wasn't certain what was being discussed, but Stefan cut the girl off as his gaze fell on Lucy. "Sorry, Elena, but as I said, I wasn't waiting for you. I'm Lucy's ride home."

"Well, just stay away from me, Stefan," Elena said before walking off.

Lucy's gaze trailed her as she walked away. "Why is it she's always telling you to leave her alone when she's the one seeking you out?"

Stefan huffed a laugh. "Get in the car, Luce."

They were almost home when Stefan told her they had a houseguest. "My best friend Lexi showed up late last night. She's here for my birthday so I don't know if she'll stay beyond the day."

She looked at him in surprise. "It's your birthday? Why didn't you say anything?"

"I'm a vampire, Lucy. At some point birthdays lose their appeal."

She shook her head as he pulled up in front of the house. "You say that but if I turn, I intend to celebrate my birthday forever."

"You've thought about turning?" Stefan asked, surprise lacing his voice as he opened the front door.