Chapter 5

"You're going to have to loose some weight" I grunt, keeping Martac upright. With each step, he leans on me more and more.

"We wouldn't be in this situation, if ya would 'ave picked better" he says with a strain in his voice. He's trying to tease me because he knows I feel awful about this. It is my responsibility to pick safe choices that can still pay our bills.

"Yeah yeah" I pause, setting him down on a bench so I can catch my breath. "You can hold this over my head forever and I'll get you a new pair of ice skates"

"Custom blades with memory foam and fur lining"

"I'm not going to feel as bad if you break my bank" I joke, gesturing to get him back up. My apartment is only a few blocks away now and besides the sweat pouring down my face and back, I feel like I can do this.

"Civilians! Do you require assistance!? I will call for help" a very familiar hero in mostly white rushes over, freezing when he realizes who we are "you"

"You have a back up helmet" I say. It's really not the time, but I can't help but notice "doesn't it get hot in there?"

"It has temperature control" he takes it off so we can see his face and he scans us, eyes snagging on my shoulder and Martac's leg. He gets out his phone and starts to dial, but stops "it's not working."

Martac is probably jamming it.

"Just help me get him to my place" I say, struggling under the weight of Martac again. I really should have cleaned my place while I had the chance.

"Ma'am, I will happily escort the two of you to the hospital."

"Help or get out of my way, Tenya" I glare at him, challenging him with my proposal.

Ida hesitates for a moment before slipping under Martac's other arm. He takes the brunt of the weight and I'm grateful, even if I don't say it. Martac is all muscle and Ida grunts once as we make our way slowly to my place.

The stairs are the worst. I'm sure Martac is putting barley any of his weight on me but it's still a struggle for all of us to take the steps in the narrow stairwell.

I touch my doorknob and hear it unlock. The door creaks open on hinges that I need to oil but haven't gotten around to it. My space looks twelve times worse than I remember. The clothes seem to have multiplied while I was gone today and there are even bras hanging over a a closet doorknob.

"Get him on the bed" I instruct. Ida takes one quick look around my space and smartly says nothing. "There's a first aid kit in the bathroom."

We get him centered on my bed and I point in the direction of the bathroom. I find a kind of clean towel on the floor to put under Martac's bleeding leg.

"Quit bleeding on my bed, you'll stain the mattress" I grumble at Martac who winces every time I move him to cut his pants off at his knee to expose the wound.

"Stitch me up and I wouldn't have to." He snaps back, but it doesn't have much of a bite to it.

Ida reappears with the kit and I can do just that. I give Martac some left over pain kills that I have on hand from the last time I got hurt. Ida doesn't comment, but examines my space. His helmet is discarded at the end of my bed and he goes to pick it up while I take the knife out of Martac's leg and sew it up. Luckily, it didn't hit anything vital and just requires me to stitch the skin closed so it can heal quickly.

The hero hovers behind my shoulder, helmets in both of his hands as he watches me work. It doesn't take long to fix up Martac since it's not the first time I've had to do it. The painkillers knocked him out and he's snoring with his mouth wide open, drool dripping down his cheek.