Chapter 40: Keefe

Time flew by. Maybe it'd only been hours, maybe it'd been weeks, months, or years. I couldn't keep track. All I remember was being thrown into this strange room, and some healers or something coming to fix up whatever injuries that I knew I must've had, and just couldn't feel. I don't know what this room is doing to me. I can feel time running away from me, and my memories slipping through my fingers. I don't even remember my own name anymore. The walls were covered in these emeralds and they were slowing dragging me down, all while stripping me of my identity. Some days I just sat in the corner. Some days I cried. Some day I tried to escape or punched the wall or kicked the air. And some days...these were the worst. It was this...darkness. A suffocating hopelessness, that I would be alone forever—that no one was coming to save me. And it was on those days that every. single. time. Every single time I closed my eyes, all I saw was this golden hair shimmering in the light of her beautiful smile. This girl's brown eyes flecked with gold that seemed to shine in every corner of the darkness. And when I dreamed, I saw her pull me up towards the light—to freedom. But every time, I shook my head and gently released her hand, and as her features dimmed and her face dropped with disappointment, I choked on my tears, disgusted with myself that I disappointed her. But I never left with her. Until one day, her bright smile, shining hair, and beautiful eyes faded out of my memory, as I forgot her to.