XXI. The Discharge

*Kaira's pov*

Din is getting discharged, the bacta is a miraculous healer.
I convinced him to spend at least the night there, to avoid putting stress on his leg too soon.
I left Grogu with him and went to the ship to get some sleep as well.
I also called my mom to ask her to thank again Mr. Drayson for lending us the ship, I'll bring it back as soon as Din comes out of the hospital.

But first I need to do something

I walk through Nevarro searching for Cara Dune, and I find her near the local school. Seeing the children inside makes me think about Grogu, and how happy he would be with these kids.
"Marshal Dune"
"Call me Cara" she waves
"Is there a chance that somewhere here I can find some beskar?"
"Don't tell me you want an armor too"
"Never, too heavy. No, it's for Mando"
"Oh" she smirks for a second "Maybe there is some around the old Mandalorian hideout"
"A hideout? Is that way there aren't many mandalorians around?"
"Yes, well, now I suppose they all went to a new one. It was difficult for them, still is. Follow me"

She walks between the buildings until we reach an opening, and we go down the stairs.
Inside there is mostly darkness, so I take out my lightsaber to make the space more visible. Blue light projects on the walls.
On the ground there are empty containers of food, old clothes and some blankets, sign of the fact that the only ones that come in here are beings without a home or money.
"In here" Cara calls me towards a large circular room with a table in the center of it.

"This was the armory, where the beskar was turned into weapons and stuff. You have no idea how many thieves try to come in here and take whatever they can"
"What do you do with the stuff you find here?"
"At first we kept it for the city's needs. But now that we are in contact with the Mandalorians thanks to you friend Tinhead we send everything there, to the rightful owners"
I look around trying to find something, but the room seems empty.
Unless...

"Cara, do you think the metal of the worktable is simple metal?"
She comes near me
"Thinking about it, forging the most resilient metal should require tools made of the same metal. I knew you were smart! There is still a problem, tough. How do we find a way to make a chestplate?"
"I hadn't thought of it. One thing for sure, this plate comes on the ship with me, then I'll leave it to Mando. And if we have to fight again I trust his abilities, and I'll be there. I won't let him get hurt badly"
"You're good, I like you. Thanks for looking out for him" she pats my shoulder
I smile back at her as we exit the hideout with the beskar.

After Cara and I brought the plate on the ship she went back to her duties.
I am now going back to Din.

I arrive at the hospital finding him with Grogu in his arms arguing with a droid.
I throw my arms around his neck to hug him, happy to see him okay and to relieve all the worry I had in me since the explosion. After a second I release him.
"Arguing with a droid, how strange, what did you do?"
"Kai, thank God, free me. This thing wouldn't let me go out without someone that assists me" He turned back to the droid to mock it "It's too soon it says"
"Oh come on, don't be a baby. Now I'm here, I will assist you, let's go" I say walking away "And thank the machine!"
I hear him grunt and I laugh.

He easily reaches me despite the leg injury that still troubles him a bit. As we arrive to the ship I take Grogu from his arms and put him on my shoulder, saying hi to him.
We are greeted by BB-4 who rolls around Din happily.
"Hey buddy, he's okay. How did it go with Mythrol? No scratches?"
He beeps, confirming that the work was done well.

As soon as everyone is inside I close the ramp and secure Grogu on one seat.
As I proceed to the pilot seat I feel Din's gloved hand gently grabbing mine to stop me.
I turn to him as he releases the grip.
"Everything okay?"
"Yes, just... Thank you again"
"No worries, it's what people do"
"No it isn't, all my life I was always alone or treated like an outcast. I have only a few people that I trust,and one is you"
I smile to him and brush his arm for a second before going to the front.
He takes the seat next to me as I put the coordinates back to Anchorhead, seconds later the ship takes off.

The relaxing colors of the hyperspace appear outside of the ship after I make the jump.
I turn around looking at Grogu, interested by the lights.

"You changed" I hear Din talk
"Huh?"
"The cloak"
"Oh, yeah. You noticed" I run my hand on the piece of clothing around me "It's my dad's. Mine got a bit bloody, but hey, saved your life"
"Really? I'm sorry"
"Don't worry, I like this one more. Here, wanna see it?"
I take it off giving it to Din, who checks it out
"So all Jedi dress the same?"
"Not everyone, but most of us have these, yes"

Din stops looking at the clock and gives it back to me. I put it on the free seat behind me, I'll put it on later.

"Kai, is that a tattoo?"
He points to the back of my shoulder, now exposed.
"Yes" I turn a bit to let him see the tree stars of different dimensions that I have on my skin "It represents my family, the little one is me, this other one is my mom, and the big one is my father... You know-"
"The brightest star that guides you and checks on you"
I nod, smiling at the fact that Din remembers details of me that for people were never worth to care for.
"It's pretty"
"Thank you"
I try not to blush

"I have a present for you, Din. Look at what I found during my trip in the old Mandalorian hideout"
He gets up and finds the Beskar plate in the back
"I wanted to make it into a new chest plate, but turns out I don't know how to work the metal, so you'll need to do it back to your home"
He doesn't speak, leaving me confused
"Please tell me it is Beskar and not some strange metal"
He makes his staff hit the plate, making the sound of the two metals hitting each other spread in the ship
"It's pure Beskar" he says walking to me "You have no idea how hard it is to find it". He grabs me by my shoulders as BB-4 announces that is time to jump out and land "Thank you, thank you, thank you"

When the ship lands we all exit, and I head for Mr. Drayson's shop. Mythrol did really a good job, the blood stains disappeared and also the outside was cleaned up.

I return the ship to its owner, who is happy to see me again.
"Little Kaira, I was so sorry about your ship so I tried to rebuild it. It is not good, but it should fly well enough to bring you to a better mechanic"
"Are you joking? Mr. Drayson let me repay you, plea-"
"No, I won't let you. You're like a daughter for me, I saw you grow up, and I am honored that you are one of the Jedi that fights to protect us. It's my gift to you"
I hug Mr. Drayson to thank him, and I promise him I will come visit more often, then I run back to Din, Grogu and BB-4.

Let's see if the Spark is still a badass ship as before.

A/N
Filler chapter before the final stage of this story, get ready my friends.
See you next chapter!

-Haar'chak_Kaira