The Mountains

Y/N- Your Name
(Written in 1st person perspective, if people would prefer a different perspective just ask!)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I had been walking for what felt like forever when I reached the mountains. I tried not to look back as I walked on. Images of my village flashed in my mind. Beautiful. Lush. Quaint. Burning. I shut my eyes abruptly to interrupt the thought. That was the past, I had to put it behind me. It's what my family would've wanted.

I didn't expect the climb to be so rigorous. But I didn't have another choice, walking around it would delay my journey by several weeks. And I couldn't turn back after traveling all this way. So I started, slowly but surely, scaling a giant mountain in the middle of nowhere.

By the time I'd reached the top, it was late. My best guess was 10 pm. The dark sky hung overhead and I could hear the delicate singing of night herons. Even in the dark I could see the outline of a town. Beautiful houses of different shapes and sizes all though I couldn't quite see it in detail. It looked peaceful, like a place you'd want settle down and raise kids in.

Why was that on my brain?

Quickly, I began to descend the mountain. After a rough hour and half, I was about 75% down. For a second I lost my balance. I turned quickly trying to grab into a small tree branch, and as I took a deep inhale it snapped. Sending me and the branch sky rocketing backwards and plummeting about 30 feet to the bottom of the mountain.

I jolted upright and instantly was greeted with a intense headache. I looked around, noticing the sun had just started risen.

Had I really been out that long?

I looked down at my hands that were still holding on tightly to the small tree branch. "Thanks for nothing." I roll my eyes and throw it to the side. I could feel the mud on the side of my face were I had landed. I dismissed it and grabbed my small bag to rummage through it, making sure everything was still in there. Well at least I didn't lose anything.

I tried to stand up but fell over. I gave myself a few minutes to recover then tried again. I had to keep going, I had to figure out what this growing power inside of me was and where it came from.

After successfully getting up and walking past the first house of this small town, I couldn't help but notice how charming it was. So many colors and plants. An insane amount of plants actually. And exotic ones too, they weren't even native to this area.

Huh. Mentally noted.

As I walked through the village, trying to stay quiet. Front doors starting opening. I tried to walk a little faster but my left leg was dragging. I must've pulled a muscle or something.

I could see a big beautiful house in the distance. I wonder what type of family lived in it. It made me think about my family, and our old house. It might not have been that big, but it was perfect for us.

Hm.

Kids start collecting on the road. The younger ones began to play, and the older ones started on daily chores. I figure I could get away without raising suspicion If I continued to walk among them. Maybe for a second I could pretend I lived a simple life like them. I could imagine I was complaining to my mother about doing laundry, or picture me and my younger brother running and weaving through the busy streets. Maybe I could plead to my sister to make me her famous Natilla y Bueñuelos. (Custard and Fried Dough)

The possibilities were endless. I liked this game.

But my plan was flawed. Instead of blending in, I seemed to be drawing a crowd. Little kids stared up at me.

The powers coursed in my veins. I could feel it.

Their fear.

I couldn't understand why, maybe I looked worse then I thought? Why would they be scared of me?

I started to speed up, and then people began to follow me. I was scared and confused. I could feel these peoples fear, but I could also feel concern? Was I causing concern? I began to sprint. My knees felt wobbly and weak, and in an instant I had a throbbing headache. My teeth clenched as I reached up to grab the sides of my head. I felt horrible. I brought my hands down, they were covered in dark red liquid.

Oh. Fear. Concern.

It's not mud I'm covered in. I feel light headed.

It's blood.

As everything goes to black and I feel my consciousness slipping away from me, I hear shrill screams.

"HELP, SOMEONE PLEASE QUICKLY, THIS GIRL NEEDS HELP!!"

That's the last thing I hear, coming from a panicked woman. But then my blood rushes, I feel something else. Relief? These people are relieved?

Suddenly, I feel strong arms lift me from the floor. And the last thing I see, is a glimpse of soft freckles and hazel eyes.

Then there's just black.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thank you so much for reading!

If you enjoyed please leave support and if you didn't enjoy please leave constructive criticism! This is my first Wattpad story ever so I'm very inexperienced, also I'm sorry for the long introduction but I wanted you guys to get a feel for what the stories about and such! I'm super new to this stuff if I made any mistakes or you guys have any ideas please let me know! Also I know that Y/N power is kinda unclear right now and that's because I want it to involve emotions but I'm not sure what direction to take it in haha. Anyways I hope you enjoy this book, I'll try to upload as often as possible!