Comfort Food

"Look mom she's waking up!"

I hear a girl whisper. The sounds of pots and kitchen utensils are ringing in my ear. I want to go back to sleep, it's too difficult to move. But the smell of something delicious gives me the strength to flutter my eyes open.

Im startled to see three people hovering over me. A girl who looks around my age with green round glasses, an older woman whose hair is just beginning to gray, and a man with a mustache and a swelling nose.

My eyes widen in fear and I scramble to get up before falling over, miraculously landing in a chair. Wait, did the chair move? It wasn't there before, I'm sure. The older women instantly talks, interrupting my thoughts.

"My name is Julieta, we just want to help."

She says in a calm motherly tone. My rigid shoulders relax just the slightest and my eyes connect with the fresh plate of Arepa con queso on the counter. My mouth starts to water, I haven't had a proper home cooked meal in weeks. Like clockwork my stomach growls.

The older woman, Julieta, quickly grabs the plate behind her, and hands one arepa to the man with the swelling nose. Then she hands me the whole plate.

"Please eat, you're hurt badly. This should make you feel much better." Julieta says as she grabs the younger girls arm, I assume it's her daughter.

They watch me carefully as I reach down and grab the food, my hand shakes as I bring it up to my mouth. I take a large bite. This is the best thing I've had in a month. I look up at the strange family gratefully, then quickly continue eating.

Then I notice my headache is gone, I look up again to see the husband finishing his own arepa. And miraculously, his nose is gone back to normal.

I reach up and press my hands to the side of my head, and when I bring it down there is no blood. I sigh in relief and then snap my head up. I gasp and nearly choke on my food as the realization hit me.

"How did you-"

I start to speak but am interrupted by a energetic girl with a colorful embroidered dress.

"She can heal anyone with just one arepa!"

I look up at the two wide eyed, the younger girl laughs.

"If you're impressed, just imagine how I feel!" Her and her mom laugh together. It's warm and genuine laughter and my lips curl into a smile.

It reminds me of my mom.

"Im Mirabel, you gave us quite a scare!"

She says with a laugh. I shake her hand, the man reaches his out as well and introduces himself as Agustín.

I have so many questions for these people, are they like me? Did that chair move when I fell? How did that woman heal me with food? It was almost too much for me to wrap my head around. Before I could make up my mind on a question to ask them, they asked me one.

"Where do you come from? We can send for your parents! I'm sure they are very worried."

I look down at the ground and fiddle with the hem of my skirt. I try to find the right words, and settle on-

"They were taken from me."

They looked at me sadly. I didn't need powers to know how they were feeling. The pity was written all over their faces. But I wasn't some helpless little girl, I had traveled this far all on my own after all. The last thing I needed was pity. Just then, Mirabel walked closer to me, with a sympathetic smile.

"I can fix up the holes on your skirt, some might say I'm a bit of a seamstress." Mirabel said kindly and adjusted her glasses proudly.

I was relieved, I wasn't willing to talk about my family to these strangers just yet. And my skirt was pretty torn up from that fall. She looked at me expectantly.

"That would be amazing, thank you so much. Oh, and my name is Y/N."

I said nervously, my voice coming out a little hoarse since I hadn't spoken in awhile. Mirabel smiled at me brightly and extended her hand towards mine. I took it. Suddenly, her eyes lit up in recognition.

"Shoot, I promised Camilo that I would tell him once you woke up... He was super worried when he found you like that!"

Mirabel spoke with a sigh.

"Who's Camilo?" I ask curiously with a tilt of my head.

"Oh right, you were passed out! Camilo is the person who saved you!"

She kissed her mother and father on the cheek before leading me down a hallway eagerly. As she dragged me along I noticed the tiny designs in her dress. She was really talented. I wonder if she had a power like her mother did, I would ask her about it soon I decided. The house was huge, she led me up a staircase and we past a series of glowing doors.

So weird.

She walked up to one of the doors and dropped my hand. Then she knocked. The door was opened almost seconds later.

"Is she okay?" He asks quickly, not noticing me right away. Sure enough the boy standing there is the freckled, hazel eyed boy from before.

"You can ask her yourself!" Mirabel says while pointing at me and giving Camilo a smile. He noticed me and instantly was caught off guard. He instantly tensed. I could feel his nerves. He leaned against his doorway trying to regain his composure.

"I was worried that I hadn't got you here in time," He twiddles his thumbs while looking at the floor. "I'm glad to see you're okay." He says honestly. Then, he looks up at me, running a hand through his curly hair. I feel my heart beat speed up. And I quickly break the eye contact and slightly lower my head to say,

"Thank you so much, I don't know how I can express my gratitude."

He laughs a little then puts his hands up as to say "don't worry about it." Mirabel motions to him that we should get going and in a smooth voice he says,

"Well, I'm sure I'll see you again soon..." He pauses and I can tell he's waiting for me to tell him my name so I respond "Y/N."

"Y/N."

He repeats quietly, almost a whisper. Mirabel raised an eyebrow at Camilo then grabs my hand and starts to walk away shouting her goodbyes to Camilo. I give him a friendly wave goodbye as I am dragged along by Mirabels strong grip.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey everyone, I hope you enjoyed this chapter! I'm struggling on determining a good length for chapters so please comment what chapter length you enjoy! Also I'm totally open to suggestions to better my writing since I feel like it's a little stiff right now. If you are reading this then thank you so much! Feel free to correct spelling errors or give constructive criticism! Have a great day and Happy New Year!