06

"Kuya, reach the cookies for me, please?" 

One.

"Kuya, can you get my doll, please?"

Two.

"Kuya, I'm hungry. Order for me, please?" 

Three. 

I had no idea how long it could go. Ever since I moved to this house, I saw my dad less frequent because he was always busy with work, which I really liked, but Elyse just became more and more dependent on me. Hindi ko alam kung ano ang gagawin ko. Because my dad was always away, I thought that she was starting to think that I was her dad...

And like a good brother, I would always get her what she wanted. I was spoiling her too much, I guess. I was always attentive to her needs because I wanted to give her a life with no worries... a life I never had. 

I spent most of my time with her because she couldn't be left alone. She was always so clumsy and curious, and I knew she would break a lot of stuff if she was left alone. It wasn't helping that her mom also started working in the company, so we had always been left alone together. Kaunti na lang ay magsisimula na ulit ang school kaya naman hindi na ulit kami magkakasama. I was worried for her in school. She was enrolled in Heinrich, and I was enrolled in Lopez High by my mom before she passed away. 

I couldn't get out to finally meet my friends in the neighborhood because I couldn't leave Elyse alone. Hindi ko nga alam kung alam na nina Hiro na bumalik na ako rito. Hindi ko rin alam kung alam nila ang nangyari kay Mommy. I didn't attend the wake after that one time so I had no idea who attended in the following days.

"Shan..." Elyse's mom, Tita Erin, knocked on my door that night so I hurriedly sat on my bed so I could see her. I was uncomfortable seeing her around the house after... all of those happened when I was a kid. 

"Yeah?" I asked coldly. 

"I heard Elyse broke your phone, so here's a new one. You can use this to communicate with your friends. I asked Kuya Roel to get the number of your friends, and they are already saved in there. I hope it's okay." Her voice was soft and soothing as she placed the paper bag on my study desk near the door. 

I didn't talk when she smiled a bit and closed the door. She probably knew I wasn't in the mood to talk to her. I wasn't always in the mood to acknowledge her presence or my dad's presence. All I wanted was Elyse to have a good life. I felt like I was sent here by the heavens so I could protect her from dad. 

Whenever I saw Elyse, it was like seeing a part of me. It was like seeing the past me. The kid version of me... and my instinct was always to protect her because no one could do it for me before. I respected her relationship with my dad and as much as I wanted her to be as far away from him as possible, he was treating her nicely... and she deserved a father. Only that the man in front of her wasn't the man I knew before. 

I didn't know how long he could keep that face up. I didn't know if he already changed... but all I know was that if ever that time comes that I had to protect my sister from him, I would drop everything I had just to go to her.