Chp. 5

After laying out my past relationship with Drew we had talked about a lot of insignificant things, which I was okay with considering one major topic was all I could handle within a few hours. I loved talking to Drew though, it was so easy and natural and everything I had been dying to find in a person. I was so happy I had run into her, I was so happy that we had met, but I wasn’t happy about the fact that in just two days her and my sister would step into a ring together.

The thought literally made me sick.

It seemed as if this week was passing fast just to make Friday get her faster, as if the universe kind of knew I didn’t want it to come and it was torturing me on purpose. I was terrified, not only for my sister but for Drew too, and that put me in a really bad emotional situation.

Drew still didn’t know I knew about her fighting, and Jada still didn’t know I was hanging out with her enemy behind her back. I’m sure it wouldn’t be a big deal right now, or maybe it would, but if Jada lost to Drew… I knew it would be ten times worse.

Knowing my sister I knew she could hold a grudge, and I understood that this fight was extremely important to her. If she didn’t win it would set her professional career back. I knew she wanted out of this league she was in, I knew she wanted to win with everything in her, but I could help but shake the thought of what if.

If Jada was doing this then I knew Drew had the same stipulations, and she also had to win so many fights before getting out. I wanted to know how many but that would obviously involve me actually talking to her about it. That didn’t seem likely because knowing Drew she wouldn’t open up to me about something like that.  Not unless she had a damn good reason, like her actually seeing me there in the flesh, which was likely come Friday night.

Tuesday after rehearsal I had almost brought it up whenever Drew had brought me home but I had chickened out, and now that it was Wednesday night and I was starting to grow anxious. What if I showed up and she saw me and freaked out? Was it a bad idea to go in the first place?

No, I couldn’t bail, Jada was relying on me and supporting her was something a good sister would do, no matter how scary it was.

Then I got another text from Drew, “I got you a surprise.”

I felt something in my heart flutter, curiosity swarming all around my brain as I typed, “Could you give me a hint?

It’s something you need, most definitely.

I smiled at the vague answer, knowing she didn’t want to give much away. I literally had no idea what it could be considering I didn’t know exactly what I needed, so how would Drew even know?

I typed, “That’s honestly the worst hint ever.”

As I lied in bed texting Drew before disappearing off to sleep I found myself wanting to stay awake just to talk to her. I enjoyed conversation with her, and now that we were getting closer she was actually starting to flirt with me a lot more. I still didn’t know where exactly her interests lied when it came to sexual preference but I was pretty convinced she at least liked me, so that had to mean something.