Chapter 15 - The Paranoid

The image of that demon disappearing into black smoke instead of the brownish-green one kept replaying in her mind.

    It was so unexpected and brought back a ton of memories all at once that she felt like she was gonna crash. She tried keeping herself composed and out of sight but once Jules came to comfort her she instantly broke down and panicked. Just seeing that black smoke again made her terrified.

    It took some time for her to finally calm down and catch her breath. Jules wanted her to get some rest for the remainder of the day and stayed by her side as well. Axel agreed to take charge for Jules until (Y/N) was ok and tried asking about what it was that set her off. The Capturers who were with her didn't know for sure. They didn't notice the change in color to the spectral's portals, assuming that (Y/N) was alarmed from almost getting attacked.

    It was their second last day of being in Pachester before they were to leave in the morning. Capturers were making their last rounds through the small town and only came up with two more demons for (Y/N) to check. One needed to be eradicated while the other she decided to keep for experimentation after Saren took an interest in it.

    Once the town was cleared, they'll move on to a new city a couple of miles away. Instead of being on the outskirts, their route will be taking them directly through the city. This did make (Y/N) even more anxious than she was, especially when they could be under watch by scouts. Cities tend to have the most demons so it's a high chance a scout will follow them.

    (Y/N) sighed as she carved her knife into the wood of one of the old vegetable gardens in the courtyard. She made intricate curves with the black combat knife and carefully spelled out her name into the wood.

     She was by herself in the small courtyard, needing some time alone before going back to work. The quiet nighttime air was comforting in a way despite it being cold.

     She pulled her knife away to look at her handiwork before looking up at her surroundings.

     What if she was being watched now?

     Her every move, every word she spoke, carefully being analyzed by a demon working for another demon?

    She could possibly just be getting overly paranoid. Maybe nobody's been following them and watching everything they did. Everything she did. Or maybe there was someone there and they aren't the demons she doesn't want to see? Or maybe they are...?

     If it was those two they would probably attack everyone and steal her away without question. But they're dead. They're dead and gone and she shouldn't have to worry about them anymore.

     (Y/N) stood up and slowly took a walk, knife still in hand and gently swinging through the air.

'Am I just trying to convince myself at this point...?'

     She's been telling herself for years that Ki and Akai are rotting, burnt to a crisp, and dead underneath the rubble and debris of that theatre. But most importantly, out of her life.

    She did miss the times before they went crazy and loved her.

     When Ki was quiet and kind...

     When Akai was playful but sometimes annoying...

     When she used to consider them her friends...

     Then they had to go and love her. Treated her as an object, assaulted her, made threats towards her, killed for her... They believed they were protecting her, loving her, keeping her safe from I9 when really they were doing more harm than good.