CH 8.2 What Brains?

Alex headed for the brothers' tent with a vain hope that their tent would be empty. She had refused all medical aid from Dola and Raba, wanting them to focus on the abused girls.

"Alex! What happened?" Gabe snatched up his sword at Alex's battered appearance. Rile did the same and Cale ran out of the tent.

"It looks as though you've gone ten rounds with a cougar and lost," Rile said in his too-helpful tone. "Why did you leave me out of it?"

Alex was tongue-tied.

Now what am I going to say?

"Uh, I did something rather . . . rash." Alex's voice was hoarse and dry, not to mention bloodied. She coughed, her throat dry and sore.

Cale handed her a wineskin and she drank directly from it.
"Tell us," Gabe said, looking suitably angry, while Cale looked dismayed, but Rile looked interested, eyes bright and small grin on his face.

By the time she ended her story, all mirrored Gabe's anger, which confused Alex.

I know why Gabe is angry with me, but Cale and Rile? 

"I can't believe you thought that little of us," Rile finally spoke through gritted teeth.

"Little? What do you mean?" Alex asked, startled.

          You didn't tell us. You thought we would sacrifice those girls to political expediency." Rile's face, which had gone scarlet with fury, began to contort. "How could you suggest such a thing? How could you think that about us, about me?"

            "That's not it!" Alex clapped her hand over her mouth that she screeched like a little girl. Then she continued in a calmer tone, "I knew you wouldn't and that's why I didn't tell you. I didn't want you getting in trouble over this."

            "So you flew off at the word of your former kidnapper, ignoring your team-mates for some wild rescue, without a thought or plan into what could have been an ambush." Gabe's anger rivaled Rile's. His eyes were angry, his fists clenched, and his glare so cold, it turned Alex's blood to ice. "I remember someone who was very hurt and angry at being left out on team plans."

            "Oh." Alex sat down and hung her head. "I'm so sorry. My brains fly right out of my ears when rape is involved." The air smelled thick and sour from the anger in the air. The sting of Gabe's words in her ears, echoed in her mind.

            "What brains?" Rile demanded.

            "That reminds me." Alex planned to lob her own bomb back. "Drake loves you, Rile. Is that sort of behavior okay in this world?"

            "NO!" All the brothers shouted and stared at her.

            Alex loved it when they spoke in unison. She wisely hid her smile behind her contrition since she had messed up in a big way.

            "Drake has never . . ." Rile could only be described as spluttering.

            "Oh, he may have never, but I know a jealous lover when I see one. He practically told me outright." Alex smirked.

            "But . . . but . . . all the females! The prostitutes!" Rile protested, walking in circles and waving his hands.

Alex felt sorry for him. "None of them could hold a candle to you, Rile. Can't say I blame him." She hoped her peace offering would be accepted.

            "That's it! I'm done here!" Rile stormed off.

            Alex regretted her teasing; it had been a really insensitive thing to say. With Rile gone, she had to face an angry Gabe and Cale alone.