twenty two

Beverly

I drive home with the windows down and the radio blasting, feeling the cool breeze blowing through my hair. The sun was just setting, the sky in the beginning stages of turning pink. I hum along to the familiar tune on the radio as I drive, turning onto a rocky path that leads up to a beautiful overlook of Los Angeles on a small hill.

Harry had texted me to meet him here after work, and I luckily had an extra change of clothes in my office that I changed into before leaving. It was a simple pair of trendy jeans and a plain crop top.

I park my car, seeing his familiar vehicle next to mine, and gather my items before leaving. Making my way up the trail, my mind thinks back on the conversation I had with my parents.

At first, just like everyone else, they didn't believe me. They thought I was playing some sort of trick on them, until I pulled up the horrific paparazzi pictures that were taken the other night. My mom almost started crying tears of joy, and Dad was confused who that was until the picture was pulled up.

'Ohhhh, the guy from that band One Direction, or something.' He had said.

They were adamant on having me bring him over soon, and I kept quiet, knowing it was way too early for that. I just smiled and nodded, letting my mom fawn over the news. And now here I was, my legs taking wide steps to carry me up the hill. As I approached the top, I could see the familiar head of brown, wavy hair peek over, his full frame becoming more and more visible as I approached. He was sitting on the grass, a blanket spread out underneath him, and some other things around him that I couldn't make out.

He looked absolutely beautiful, sitting there, head turned towards the sky, as he leaned back on one arm, the other slung over his lap. I smiled as I got closer, and his head turned as if he sensed me, a smile appearing immediately after we made eye contact. He waves, pushing himself up to stand.

"Hi," I breathe, as he wraps his arms around my waist.

"Hi Pretty." He grins, and my eyes travels down to the blanket, where a bottle of wine lay with two empty glasses, and a tray of cheeses, meats, and fruit.

"What is this?" I ask, unable to contain my joy, as we both take a seat on the blanket.

"Just a few snacks." He tells me, his eyes glowing and eager.

"This is the sweetest thing ever." I laugh, watching as his fingers pluck a grape off the vine.

"Open." He instructs, a mischievous grin on his face. Laughing, I open my mouth and lean back slightly, as he aims. He squints an eye, nose crinkled slightly as his lips purse, and tosses it in. I lean to catch it, and the fruit lands in my mouth.

"Yes!" He exclaims, throwing his hands up and I giggle, chewing the juicy grape.

"This is beautiful." I say, referring to the view. The sky was turning a deeper shade of pink and orange, rows of palm trees in the distance. In the far, far distance, cars were passing quickly on the interstate, the small lights glowing. The city lights were twinkling beautifully underneath the sky as I popped a cube of gruyere cheese into my mouth. The creaminess melted on my tongue.

"It is." Harry agrees, and I can't help but stare at his side profile. His eyes were slightly squinted, taking in the scenery. The hairs that frame his face blew slightly in the light air, the warming sun illuminating the perfect areas of his face. His jawline was so crisp, his skin perfectly smooth. He was like a work of art; a sculpture. He seemed too good to be true.

I watch as he takes a deep breath, his chest rising and sinking as he does. His fingers run back through his hair, the silver of his rings glinting from the sun. He peeks at me with his eyes, his head not moving, the corner of his mouth upturning slightly.