Part 9

"I just don't understand why William couldn't come in for a few minutes to say hello." My mother continued nagging as we entered through the front door.

Hearing her say his name in such a familiar way bothered me. Hearing her say his name at all, regardless of the way in which she said it, didn't quite sit well. 

What? Would you prefer her to call him Mr Knight then?

As a matter of fact, yes, that would be better. It's not like she ever met the man before and I would avoid that from happening as long as possible.

"Mother, first of all, he is my boss and second of all, he has another appointment." I don't know why I felt like his behaviour needed some sort of explanation.

What I said was the truth, we weren't friends (which would've made my mother's reaction more rational). I don't know what we were exactly, but friends definitely wasn't it. And as far as my mother was concerned, I was simply working for him, nothing more.

"Oh... well that's really a shame, isn't it? I tell you, when I saw that expensive car pull up in the driveway, I thought that surely today was the day that I would get to meet our dear Willie."

No, no, nope, no, no, no...

Our? I think not.

Willie? Hell no!

This has to be the cringiest sentence that has ever left my mothers lips. 

Dear whoever is listening, please make her stop talking.

How on earth did she think it was appropriate for her to start calling my boss such crude names? I tell you, this woman's lack of boundaries and decorum has reached new heights. 

"No mother, not today," Not ever, I thought but didn't say out loud, "And if you must call him anything other than Mr Knight, which is obviously the most appropriate and suitable way of addressing him, please refrain from calling him, Willie," I said, scrunching my nose in disgust as the atrocious nickname left a bad taste in my mouth. 

"Oh, Ian! Put those plates down this instance! I've told you before, you're our guest and I won't have you running around carrying food, that's what Hailey's here for." Our mother said, rushing after Ian who was carrying dishes to the patio.

I followed after my mother to where everyone else was already assembled around the table. Hailey was frantically taking dishes from Ian by our mother's request and Ian took a seat next to Julie. Julie's eyes were following his every move, a soft smile resting on her lips. Our father was sitting at the end of the table, looking like he'd rather be anywhere else in the whole entire world than here. It's not that he hates socialising in general, he just dislikes the fuss that my mother makes about everything. He doesn't understand why he needs to wear a button-down shirt in his own home and why we need to eat out on the patio instead of in the living room like we usually do. My mother has tried explaining what was expected when one has company to my father numerous times, but I doubt he ever listened. He rarely listened to what she said in general, deeming it utter nonsense most of the time. 

Across from Julie sat Charlie, deep in conversation with some man. I could only assume the man's presence was what this whole gathering was about. I couldn't tell who the man was, since from where I was standing, I could only see the back of his head.

Charlie and I had both been quite busy the past couple of months, me with work and Charlie with running her security business. It seems that a few things had happened since the last time we spoke... For one thing, she hasn't mentioned a man to me.

"Elizabeth! Don't just stand there, come and take a seat, we've all been waiting just for you." My mother said in that screechy voice of hers. 

I shuffled over to the open seat next to my father, greeting everyone as I passed. Charlie's guest, an odd-looking guy with a potato for a nose, gave me a toothy grin as I took in my place at the table, leaving a chair open between us. 

My father shared a look meant only for me, conveying his relief that I had finally shown up. 

"Elizabeth, I am so glad to see you again. It feels like we haven't spoken in months." Charlie addressed me first.

"Oh yes, we hardly see Eliza ourselves and we live under the same roof! I tell you, that boss of hers has got her working way too hard, keeping her busy until late every other day. If you ask me, I'd say that it has very little to do with her work ethics but rather his own hidden motives, if you know what I mean." My mother answered for me, taking a large swig from her wine glass.

How many of those has she had already?

My eyes travelled to where Ian was sitting, feeling uncomfortable that he was present to hear my mother spewing nonsense. For all I knew, he could be thinking that I was the one feeding her this information, about his best friend nonetheless!

He didn't seem all that affected by what she said. A wave of relief washed over me.

What he said seems to be true then, he wasn't going to be scared away by my mother's antics.

A throat cleared to my right, drawing my attention to the man whose name I was yet to learn. He was looking at me expectantly. For what I did not know.

"Oh, Lizzie, I'd like you to meet..." Charlie started but was interrupted by the doorbell ringing.

"I wonder who on earth that could be..." my mother started before turning to Hailey, "Well, don't just sit there Hailey, go and answer the door." 

Our mother waited for Hailey to leave the room before saying, "Try as I might, I just can't seem to teach that girl anything about entertaining guests. Unlike our dear Julie, who has always been so attentive to our guest's needs." She finished, smiling proudly.

A blush quickly spread over Julie's features from the unwanted attention.

Hailey returned, standing on the threshold of the patio door.

"Who was at the door?" Our mother chirped.

"It's some man asking for Elizabeth," Hailey stated, taking her seat once more, seeing as her job was done. 

Strange...

I stood up and quickly made my way to the front door.

And there, standing in all his sexy glory with his hands in his pockets, was William.

"You forgot this in my car." He smiled, dimples in their full glory, while holding up my phone.