chapter forty

CHLOE'S POV:

I wasn't sure what time it was because the blackout curtains I purchased a few days ago had come last night and I was excited to put them up. No more sunshine. I was only going to allow myself so many days to be sad and grieve losing y/n, but I don't think I could stop. But this is healing. It's messy.

My phone buzzed and I groaned, rolling over and unplugging it. Part of me had hoped I hadn't slept the day away and the other part of me didn't care. I mean I was already failing my classes due to not showing up and or doing the work, what was another hour or two of sleep.

Turning my phone on I was surprised and a little annoyed that it was only nine thirty. The text was from Tyler and for a second I had to remember who that was. I must have tried to block out the encounter of leaving my dorm last night. Unfortunately the empty froyo styrofoam bowl on my nightstand was a reminder.

Tyler: good morning

Chloe: morning, painter

Tyler: Painter? I kinda like that nickname. I would have gone for Bob Ross myself but

Chloe: I haven't seen your work to call you Bob Ross. The guy was one of a kind, can't give that out to just anyone

Tyler: got me there. Well if I'm the painter, then your nickname can be Red

Chloe: Red... kinda like it

Tyler: cool so I was thinking we could grab some fruit smoothies before we paint? I can stop by your dorm in an hour?

I sucked in a breath, already wondering how long it was going to take me to get out of bed. Maybe I should agree and then cancel on him ten minutes before we're supposed to hang out. That sounds good. No that's mean and he seems like a nice guy and I can't be mean. I can't hurt someone the way I was hurt.

Chloe: perfect see ya then

Tyler: wear something you won't mind getting paint on. See ya soon red

I groaned to myself, feeling my cheeks become a little hot. I locked my phone and let it fall to my side, sitting up in bed and shook my head. Spending time alone with Tyler. A boy. Spending time alone with a boy. I didn't think he would try anything, he seemed too nice for that but just in case I was going to take my pepper spray. I was more worried about if he was going to like this version of me. If he was going to like this Chloe because this version was a little bit different, a little more hurt and a little more distant.

Getting out of bed I was going to pick an outfit out myself and not ask Aubrey for help because she would make a big deal out of this when it didn't need to be. Besides, she needed to spend some time with Beca since she was graduating soon.

I decided to go with the most basic outfit of my life with some loose gray sweatpants, a white lace bralette with an oversized black sweater to cover up and for the shoes, some beat up air force ones. I brushed my hair and put it back in a messy bun before making myself smell nice and brushing my teeth.

Making sure I had everything that I needed, I said fuck it and texted Aubrey what I was doing just in case I got murdered. She texted back in all caps telling me she wanted the tea when I got back and then told me to be careful.

Before I knew it, Tyler was here and we had gotten our smoothies before heading to his apartment off campus. His place was a top floor studio apartment and it was really nice and big. The windows were large and let off lots of light and the floor plan was spacious.

"You know what's cool about my place? It wasn't originally going to be anything but storage when they first built the place. But here we are." He grinned, shrugging off his black leather coat and his massive arms were on display.