Chapter 14 - Astra Returns to Hateno Village

Summary: After a brief meeting with Paya's family, Astra and Purah return to Hateno Village. Astra takes time to visit Link's old house there.

It was a sunny morning in Kakariko Village as Astra joined Purah and Paya's family for breakfast in Paya's residence. Paya's husband Talan was present, and their eighteen-year-old daughter Layna as well.

"So, you are the daughter of the legendary hero Link," said Talan to Astra. "I did not have the pleasure of ever meeting Link. I was away doing my Kaishi trial when he first arrived in Kakariko Village after his long slumber, and we never had occasion to meet afterward. It was not until after Link departed four years later that Paya and I fell in love and married. But my dear wife speaks highly of him whenever his name comes up."

"You're lucky he left, dear, for I had a serious crush on Link when I was a teenager," laughed Paya. "He was quite the brave and handsome knight! But kidding aside, Link was a noble and generous person who treated everyone with respect and was always eager to help those in need. He took time from his important mission to comfort me and calm my fears after the ancient sacred orb was stolen from here. And when it came to combat, none could stand against him."

"In any case, I must compliment you, Astra, on your combat ability as well," said Talan. "You are a worthy adversary, for few could detect my approach and take me unaware. What gave me away last night?"

"The sound of night insects," said Astra. "My father taught me to listen to the pattern of their sounds and be alert for any changes to it. It's hard not to disturb them."

"Very true, and I am aware of that, but I thought I had waited long enough for their pattern to resume before entering the room. You must have listened carefully and paid close attention. Well done! But I have some bad news to share. A Yiga spy noticed you, Astra, bearing what he thought was the sword that seals the darkness during your return to Hyrule Castle. However, not everyone is convinced of it, as the spy in question is known to inflate his accomplishments in hopes of advancing in the organization. Ironically, thanks to my reputation for stealth, I was chosen to investigate and confirm the matter one way or the other. I shall have to report my findings, eventually."

"I suppose that is unfortunate," sighed Purah. "But Zelda and I knew it would be only a matter of time before Astra was discovered. Our ruse of Astra posing as my assistant could only last so long."

"Hold on!" said Talan. "Do not give up on that idea yet. I shall report that I could not yet confirm or deny the sword's existence but need to keep spying on you for a better opportunity to get a closer look. It will buy you more time, and it will keep other Yiga away in the meantime as they would not wish to compromise my work. The organization knows you are a capable adversary, Dr. Purah, and difficult to deceive. So, they will understand my need to proceed cautiously."

"We have not had a chance to tell you the full story, dear," said Paya. "Your spy has learned only the half of it. Astra's real name is Zelda, and she carries the blood of the Goddess and the sealing power of a true Princess of Hyrule."

"What?!" exclaimed Talan, who stared at Astra in surprise. "That is extraordinary and excellent news indeed! But how is it possible?"

"It is a long and complicated story, dear," said Paya. "I can explain later."

Talan paused for a moment to think, then spoke.

"Then that must explain what our spy sensed as your party rode by, highness. Those who have delved deeply enough into the mysteries of dark magic can sense the presence of the Goddess's power, what they call light magic."

"Can you sense it, Master Talan?" asked Astra.

"No. I have not pursued the deeper aspects of dark magic, for it corrupts the spirit beyond redemption, and I am not willing to lose my soul. Instead, I have relied upon my skill at stealth to be of use to the organization, feigning weakness in combat to avoid causing harm to others. But one question is, should I eventually report the Goddess sword has indeed found a new master or not?"