Chapter 45

Qualifying an entrance is a big deal in an Indian house.

Celebrations are obvious when the results are wonderful and the MaanSingh house was no different.

As the men came back from office they all had their mini celebration with sweets and hugs and a much needed family time.

They were enjoying themselves, playing games and mimicking either Anisha or Abhimanyu and suddenly the doorbell rang.

The maid opened the door to reveal Anisha's parents, Anil and Nisha, along with their younger daughter, Esha.

Anisha's mouth had opened agape in surprise who even invited them when she had not even bothered to share the results.

The room was silent enough for the little member of the family and he had to cry to break the silence. Immediately, the new parents shifted their attention on him, tending to his needs and the trance had been broken.

Abhimanyu as well as Supreet got up and greeted their guests, welcoming them inside the house. Daljeet, too, had composed herself and smiled at them.

Anisha on seeing her approaching parents had her eyes well up. If she would not have been married a year ago the scenario would have been different. She would have shared the results, at first, with her father. He would have smiled and said, " I am proud." and they would have had a huge celebration with just the four of them.

Now, she was married, her to go person was Abhimanyu. Surprisingly, the feeling to share results with her father had not nagged her much. She had shut it down thinking they would not be interested and they show up over here.

In reality, she was sheltered and cocooned by her parents but when it came to understanding each other as individuals the two parties failed.

She blinked her eyes, once and twice and a makeshift smile made its way into her face. She got up to greet them and they too greeted her back.

Her mother, tried initiating a hug, for her sake or for others, but Anisha had not expected it and she simply smiled and went to stand beside Abhimanyu.

He looked at her and sighed, he understood the vulnerability, and kept a supporting arm around her shoulder. She was his wife, his to love and his to support.

Supreet cleared his throat and greeted his friend, " Don't get me wrong Anil but this sudden visit, is everything okay?" He eyed Esha.

" Actually, Abhimanyu informed us about the results and we couldn't resist. So thought why not pay you all a visit." Anil replied.

Anisha looked at Abhimanyu with a frown and he looked straight without even glancing at her but rubbed circles on her shoulder. She sighed understanding his message, yes he did it.

She did not know whether to feel grateful that her husband was so understanding or to rebuke herself for not wanting or rather feel the necessity to inform them of the results.

" Anisha and Esha, both our daughters, have been the apple of our eyes. A misunderstanding and we broke our happy family. First, Anisha and then Esha..." Nisha said trying to explain their presence.

Anisha's head snapped to look at her sister, what did she do? She looked around and nobody was as astounded as she was and this meant they all had a hint.

" We had always wanted a beautiful future for our daughters. Anisha made us proud all through her life and today she didn't call us. We know it is our fault but the pain, it is indescribable." Nisha looked at Daljeet for help who sighed and kept a supporting hand on her shoulder.

" Now we know what she might have felt. It was her character and moreover our upbringing we doubted upon. Her life turned upside down in the span of a week and this impacted not just her but also Esha and we know family name is not at all superior to your family's happiness." Nisha completed with difficulty.

Anisha's eyes welled up, that part of her life was tough to think of but she had overcome it with Abhimanyu by her side. Meanwhile, her parents had aged since the last time she saw them. They were old and defeated.

" Earlier, Anisha used to call her mother but after joining the office she did not and we had no idea how she was. So I decided to take up a project with Abhimanyu and he was well aware of my intentions and that is why he updated me about the results." Anil clarified.

Anisha sighed and hugged her crying mother. Her tears had always been her weakness. " Mumma, aap bhi to call kar sakti thi na? Hamesha mein hi call Karu?" ( You could have called. Should I be the one to always call?)

Nisha shaked her head in negation and hugged her daughter tighter, " Aur kitne sapne todte tere hum! Pehle shaadi phir mene tumhe ideal Bahu banane ki koshish Kari, kabhi tumhe apni zindagi khud banane hi nahi di! Mere baccha jab tu ro rahi hoti thi tab mein jaanti hu kaise khud ko sambhala hai."  ( And how many more dreams of yours will we break? First marriage then giving you lessons on becoming an ideal daughter-in-law and I never gave you a chance to make a life on own! When you used to cry on phone, I know how I handled myself.)

" Aisa nahi hai, mumma! Aap logo ne meri life banadi Abhimanyu se shaadi karva kar. He is the best thing to happen to me! Tareeka bhale hi kaisa bhi ho par Naa mere sapne tute aur naa meri life kharab huyi!"  ( It's not like this, mom! You guys made my life after getting me married to Abhimanyu. He is the best thing to happen to me! Whatever be the way but neither were my dreams spoiled nor was my life!)

Nisha smiled in relief.

Esha who listened to all this looked at Anisha and said, " Aap inko maaf kyu kar rahi ho? Have you not suffered enough, didi? I know what if feels like to be in your place! Dad is saying he regrets everything but he will repeat the same had he been given a second chance! Ask me, I have lived through this phase of his!"

" Esha, you were not ready to acknowledge your own sister on call and then you say all this!" Anisha chided.

" Yes, because I thought it was your fault to break our happy family but you know what, didi? It was dad's pride that broke the family. He did not find it necessary to clarify things with you and broke our family. I went on a date and he became angry and now I know what was it like with you." Esha yelled.

Anisha gasped. She couldn't see the amount of pain floating in her sister's eyes. Anisha had vowed since childhood to protect her and she did the exact opposite when she needed her the most, she was unavailable.

Esha hugged Anisha and said, " You do not have to forgive them until you feel the need to but please, please start revisiting home. That place is no home without you."

Anisha pressed her head into her shoulder finally breaking down.

Anil and Nisha looked at their children and enclosed them into their arms. Whatever was spoiled could be mended but this moment couldn't be missed.

Pulling apart Anisha hugged them all one by one and once in front of her father, she said, " I am sorry for whatever happened. I forgive you for both our peace of mind but do not expect me to be the way I was before everything happened."

Anil and Nisha both sighed in relief while Esha smiled, " Didi, you have a big heart."

Anisha shaked her head in negation and pulled apart from the hug looking around for others, embarrassed to have done this in the  middle of the house, but to her surprise there was nobody apart from Abhimanyu.

He noticed her dilemma and said, " They wanted you to finish this privately. So only I stayed."

She smiled gratefully at him and he understood her unsaid words. He called for his mom and dad and they all hugged each other and the celebrations began again with a bigger crowd and more enthusiasm.

*_*_*_*

So the book has almost come to an end. No point in dragging it and perhaps the next chapter would be epilogue.

Saying good bye to Anisha and Abhimanyu would be tough but it is what it is.

Till then vote, comment, share.