Prologue

Aug 23, 2021, 5:55 am

The early morning rays barely touched the fields near the Yeongsan River. A man trudged through the muddy plains, smoking a cigarette as his dominant hand held the 7th Soju bottle. He promised himself that it would be the last but as the colorless elixir inside the green bottle slowly diminished, his legs itched to go buy another one. The promise he had made to his 6-year-old rang torturously in his head.

"Appa, promise me you won't drink again."

"Damn it!" He cursed as he flung the bottle across the river, feeling that guilt eat away at his insides again as his beloved daughter's voice haunted his conscience.

"Dan Ho, I'm a bad father." The man whispered to the river as a northern wind came to chill his bones. Disgusted with himself, he plopped down on the ground, staring up at the peaceful skies. He'd promised Dan Ho to take her out for tteokbokki the other night. He had forgotten that again. A sudden rage coursed through him and he slammed his fist into the ground, only for the soil to give away, plunging his hands deeper into the ground.

"Aeesh, what the–"

A golden glint caught his eyes from where he extracted his hand out of the soil and curiosity got his fingers working. The man dusted off the soil on the top only to figure out that it was a gold watch. Quite an expensive one, he noted internally, its second-hand still managed to feebly run. The man closed his fingers around the golden object, trying to pull it out of the mud, but for god's sake, he couldn't fathom why it wouldn't budge from the ground. Heaving a determined breath, the man sat on his hind legs and gave an almighty tug.

The loose mud scattered all over the place as he finally managed to pull out his prize but with an additional extension that he wasn't expecting. Groggily, the man squinted his eyes trying to figure out what exactly the watch was attached to when his clammy face paled and the breath left his lungs. "Ah... oh god..."

Soon the chilly morning air resonated with horrified cries of a drunk man as the sun gradually rose over the horizon. For there, where the man had dug out the watch, lay a human hand, cold, bluish, lifeless, and dead.

And on the hand, a golden watch glimmered, the second hand of it living on, even past the time its owner had passed.

Aug 23, 2021, 6:37 am

Mr. Chae Hyunsik and Mrs. Chae Manwol found dead near the Yeongsan River.

—  —  —