Twelve

Remember me? lol hi.
————

James

James

Not even trying to hold back a chuckle, I asked her, "So you're working for the Russian mafia now?"

I had no idea how Maxim managed to get a hold of her. Alesso must have been heavily involved in this set-up, likely unaware of the mess he had made. There have been a lot of poor decisions made by my brother, Jennifer included, but betraying me and our family is not one of them. I trusted him with my life.

Luckily, Alesso heard everything that was being said. Both my two men and I had tiny mics in our earpieces. Which offers him enough time to re-think the plan.

"Surprised?" I watched her pouty lips curl into a smirk. I really thought I had succeeded in getting rid of that one.

I grinned widely, gesturing with my hands towards her and Maxim standing side by side in front of me. "What's one more pathetic little bitch, right?"

My two men chuckled to my left, but neither Maxim nor Jennifer looked amused by my words. Maxim cleared his throat and took a step forward while locking his hands before him. Then one quick look at his watch sitting on his wrist, silently checking the time.

"Ava's father has cost me a lot of money." He began, meeting my gaze calmly. "I have been nice, too nice, by allowing him a couple more months, but those months have ended. I told him what would happen if he broke his promise to me and it's too late to pay it back now."

Ava, I presumed, was his goal. Regardless of how hard he tried, he would not be able to grasp her. A small part of me regretted not bringing her. Only because I needed to know she was safe, and because I wanted to protect her myself. But it was for the best to let her stay home, otherwise it would've been like putting her on a silver platter, for Maxim to do whatever he likes with.

The thought grossed me out, along with Maxim's little comments about her that he had made trough out this "meeting". His smug expression didn't help my frustration. I was strongly holding back from shoving him into the wall and slicing his throat.

I'm sure I could. The fact is, he looked quite calm, his men had lowered their weapons, and he was no longer on edge as he once was. He wouldn't suspect a move like that.

"Are you gonna tell me what you said to him or am I going to have to guess? I've wasted enough time on this bullshit, spit it out." I commanded, tired of his nonsense.

"You heard that, boys? Seems like our guest is getting impatient." Maxim smirked, glancing back at them. "Haven't I made myself clear? The girl. That's what we agreed on."

Silence.

"What the fuck are you talking about? Who are we?"

He sighed and took a step closer. My two men behind me lifted their guns, prompting Maxim's men to also lift theirs. Suddenly, there was tension.